Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about putting a 454 in the project CJ7 that I am working on. Has anyone done it? If so what are some tips you can give me?
I know it is a tight fit, but I have heard of it being done before. I have some AA bolt in chevy V-8 mounts, anyone know if they will work
with the big block or just the small block?
Dan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Currie did it on the one that has the multicolored "bubblegum" paint job over white. There was a write up in a mag about it a few years back.
I think the SB mounts should work. Finding a radiator to keep it cool may be another story.

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44/M8274)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am fairly new to jeeping and not sure what my friend has but I do know that he has a 454 in his jeep. I think it is a cj7. He had a 93 wrangler but sold it to buy this jeep and I think I heard him say it is a 7. I know it can be done but I dont know what you need. Sorry, but I wnated to tell you it can be done.

Cut to shape, hammer to fit, paint to match /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif
Project '51 willy's total rebuild /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not worth the effort in my eyes, unless you're building a full-on competition mud bogger - and even then, I'd go with a mini-truck for better wheelbase. You can get gobs of power from a small-block. That's what I'd do.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dont want this to sound the wrong way but why the heck would anyone need a 454 big block in a small CJ-7? can someone please explain this to me? Is this a show truck? bogger?

Just My .02

Kevin Speicher
New England 4x4 Club
http://146.189.121.83/
79 Jeep CJ-7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its all in the numbers... If you say to a layman that you have a 305 or a 350 that produces somewhere around 5-600 hp, and then say that this jeep has a 454 that produces the same, they'll say that the 454 is more powerful. Naturally there will be a difference in torque between the two, but there is no substitute for displacement, or numbers...

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey there.. in my days of youth.. i was a street rodder.. and the ole saying was... "inches is king".. so go for it is what i say.. and yes it can be done.. i have seen a 454 with a blower in a jeep.. i myself would never do it.. but i am putting a 401 in my 7.. mm... contradiction there.. oh well what the hell.. you cant beat power.. and there is nothing better than going.. "whats in that a 350?" "no.. a 454 be-yach!!!!" hehehe.. as to how.. i am from the ole school of just do it.. you will figure it out.. an engine is an engine.. once you have it mounted.. its cake.. but i know you will need one hell of a radiator.. or some cutting of the grille to get one in.. GOOD LUCK.. would love to see it when its done..

yep.. its the jeepgod..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dcmsu -
You can keep it cool. Bigger radiator, more fans, etc., etc.
It (rat) is only fractionally longer and the bell housing pattern is the same as the small (mouse). Speaking of same, there are many, many parts the same on the two motors: oil pumps, distributors, lifters, rockers, etc., etc. and motor mounts. Yep, fat rat and skinny mouse bolt into a frame in exactly the same place. Soooooooooooooo, you CAN make it fit. What you CAN'T make it do is exhaust. The heads on the fat rat lean ever so much further out (meaning closer to the Jeep frame members) than the skinny mouse. Go measure one of each and I'm sure you'll agree. I'm not saying it can't be or hasn't been done, but for the amount of work involved you'll not gain much in power. If your ego is substantially based on cubic inches then perhaps you need to do this but there are many more things to spend your Jeep money and time on.
Heck, years ago I remember a Jeep running around out west that had an Allison in it. (Engine not transmission.) CJDave, didn't those things come from a P-51 Mustang?
# cylinders =12; configuration = V; Cubic inches = 2200???; Horsepower(stock) = 1700???
CJD help me out here
sln

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Two words!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
"penis envy"
No more , no less.
It's not how big it is it's how you use it./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good point. I know a few guys with Rats in their CJ's (one even in a CJ2A!), although only one has a radiator (oh wait, forgot about Muddy Male - A DJ5). The exhaust can be done, but you have to swing the headers outside the framerails. Really only feasable if you have full-width truck axles (which every Rat-powered CJ in my area has). If it's a matter of doing something unique, I still say you'd be better off with a Mouse. Doesn't have to be "normal" though. How about a 391, 415, or 434 Stroker? Even a Mouse will have to be pushed farther forward than an AMC motor due to the HEI & a RAT will REALLY squish those front springs. Or, you could do something REALLY cool & be one of the "first on the block" to do it - an all-aluminum LS1 from a late-model Vette?! Turnkey from your local GM dealer for $5,300 with a warranty!

If big HP is your thing, you won't do much better with a 468 RAT than you would with a 434 Mouse given the weight penalty. And if the 700-plus HP you can get out of the 434 isn't enough for you, you likely won't be happy with a 454(468 bored .060) either. Then, you need to step it up to at least a 488 stroker - maybe a 509, 540, or 632!!!

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
is any one forgetting anything?????????? How about hp to weight ratio? I am not sure on the weight of either engine but if you do not have the motor yet why not go with a 350 with a super charger in fact the tpi 350 vette motor out of the 80s can be picked up for under a grand. hmmmm light weight high horse power... sounds like a plan to me!

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
Wait a minute , I missed something.
An Allison?/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif
For real?
Those things are 3/4 as long as a "7" and weight about as much/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif.
"I love em though!"
How about a supercharged merlin RR if your going to put in a P-51 eng. and make HP.!?/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

Wider is better but taller is cooler!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are we forgetting something...? I know you had your heart set on the 454, but for something exotic, done, but not very readily... If a Viper can fit in the Tj, then it sure as hell will squeese in a Cj...

I don't think I'd undertake that deal, but hey, some people have more money than brains, some have more brains than money, and the rest have neither.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif An Allison was used in a number of early US WWII fighters,(P-40. P-38, P39) and was the engine which powered the very first P-51. The later P-51 used the Rolls-Royce Merlin. Allisons are nicely configured though, and the exhaust ports are high where they won't interfere with the frame rails in your CJ./wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif The air intake on the Allison is on the top, I believe and the Rolls is down in front. One of my "late" daredevil barnstormer pilot buddies had a P-51D with the dash-7 engine in it(shudder)...OH YEAH...it could CLIMB! 13 foot diameter four plade prop....dual superchargers lo/hi... 60" of pressure on take-off /wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gifyeek! A crapload of HP!/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As for HP to weight, that's why I thought about the LS1 (about 350lbs for longblock). A supercharger (and/or nitrous) can also give you a boost, but being a competition guy I generally frown on such things. They're illegal in all but the most modified classes in mud racing. I could run a full-on 800HP roller motor & still compete in a "street" class in many places as long as I got it to run on one carb, gasoline, & through the mufflers. But, a street motor with a mild huffer putting out 400HP would bump me up to the Supermodified class - D'OHH!

TEX

G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have several friends in north Idaho that have done this with cj7s. the reasoning that we even considered it is that they run 38in swamps. to get the amount of bottom end grunt we wanted, it was just a natural move. no lumpy cams needed, no fancy hotrod parts.

if you want to talk to the one doing the swaps, you want to call Perfection Auto Body 1-208-682-3313, ask for Bob.

There is no replacement for displacement!!!

dan

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.giflet it snow/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There is a local Jeeps Only shop owner nearby (Santa Cruz, CA) and he has a 454 in his CJ8. The thing is a monster! 4” springs AOL!! Anyway one of his ways of beating the heat was to put 1" riser blocks under his hood hinges to help let heat out. Sort of a poor man's louver.

Pete 83CJ7,4.2MPI,T18,all locked up, 96YZ250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
He's got a GPW, the grill is wider and lets that 455 fit in there. Keep in mind he also ripped his frame in half. Not my choice of fun ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Like I said it's a monster! Fine for him. Not so great to me:)
Last time I saw the CJ8 it didn't run. I didn't ask a lot of questions

Pete 83CJ7,4.2MPI,T18,all locked up, 96YZ250

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.