Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all i am going to go look at a 44 willys tomorrow and the guy doesnt know what he wants for it so could ya al give me a price range? His grandfather pulled it into the Barn 15 years ago and passed on shortly after. His grandfather bought the willys in 1954. The guy says it is in great shape! I dont know anything about these so thought i would run it buy ya just so i would have an idea on an offer. ty SCRAM

It's All Out or Nothing At All!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Re: 44 Willys

Hard to say. I would guess that if the Willys (if it is a '44, then it's a WWll MB or possibly a Ford GPW) is original, complete and doesn't have much rust....somewhere in the $1200-$1000 range. If it's a wreck...no more than $400. I hope you get it, scram...when you do, take good care of it...It's Jeep history on 4 wheels, you know. Good Luck, Dale!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Ty for the luck!! I am going to try $500 even if it is Mint. He said the body is mint but we will c. I have always wanted something like this and thought i could find it in my Scrambler but didnt so i sold it. Maybe this is just what i need I dont think there are many of them around so I Will probly Keep it forever!! I Just dont know if i should do A complete stock restore or restore her with a lift and some cool mods. But then again i havent even bought it yet so buy this time tomorrow i hope i wil be the proud owner of Her and i do meen proud. i have a spot all ready for it in the garage at My grandfathers house(HEATED) So it doesnt get cold! LOL CYA SCRAM

·
Registered
3,478 Posts

Well, scram, whether to restore or to modify into a trail machine depends on what condition you find it. It might have been modified already and is not a good candidate for restoration. Even though you're an "old hand"/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif, I know that your still a young man so this could be your "project vehicle" for the rest of your life. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

$1000-1200????? are you serious??? If I had a 44 Willys MB and someone offered me that price I would laugh at them to their face! Have you seen how much one of those go for in mint condition? Even ones in not so spiffy condition can go for more money than a decent CJ5 or 7....I will check on the net and see what kind of prices I can find and get back to you, but if you offered me $500 I would laugh at you....just to save some imberrassment.....I'll be back

push your limits, be extreme...anything less and you'll never learn.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts

Yes, a MB or GPW in mint condition would be worth several thousand dollars. However, the one that scram refers to won't be in mint or like new condition. It is a pretty safe bet that this particular Jeep has had some use, good use to be sure. It may be in original condition, meaning that all the parts are there but they're 57 years old. It might also be in poor condition and the price would be somewhere in the $400-500 range.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I don't know if it is different up north but down here in arizona where stuff is rust free you would be lucky if you could find one for under $4000....if you do though it is a piece of junk that is about another $2000 from running. It could be different there...I don't know. I couldn't even find a running MB on this.....http://g503.com/boards/g503/buysell.html
it is the posting section...home page is
http://g503.com/
You can see for yourself......anyway...if you can pick up a MB for that cheap there do it, then come to Arizona and sell it! Instant profit!!! Just an idea

push your limits, be extreme...anything less and you'll never learn.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

you could darn near retire off the revenue that flathead-four could generate, if it still runs.. and I bet it does! Shoot, not even my 5" MK45 could stop that engine!

MK86: THE US NAVY SENDS ITS REGARDS... FIVE INCHES AT A TIME!

·
Registered
2,698 Posts

Hey Scram,

If it IS orig. military issue, you might get laughed at, but I'd smile and say sorry if I were the owner and knew what I had. If the tub is mint, I'd say give the man $1000 to start 'cause that's worth it right there.

I've had the pleasure of tooling around in a '47 CJ-2A that my grandpa picked up for $400. Not a great one, front axle is screwy, so no 4 wheel yet. Floor boards rotten so you can see the drivshaft spinning. And the gas tank is a jerry can with a tube bungee corded onto the little runningboard on the driver's side. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Nevertheless, I feel this is the most pure form of Jeep I have ever driven and cannot help but smile with every inch that I make it move. It's definitely a dream in disguise and I hope to build it up sometime. But right now it's the perfect farm buggy. I'll get some pics up tomorrow of the "Jeep heritage" event I got in my backyard of all of the Jeeps my parents, brother, and grandpa have.

'88 MJ SporTruck
365K on 2.5L (Energizer Bunny Package)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I am 10 hours from seeing it and i apreceate your input. It does come with 2 motors and he is sure it wil run. He said it is mint as far as rust goes but i never asked about dents. this is not an advertisd rig so that helps me too.. There isnt any headlights. I am pumped and off to go c her right after work ty guys. Youre rite it could be my lifetime procect accuried before kids and a wife not bad huh. SCRAM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I bought it for $600(he has to ask his grammy but he said she thought it was worthless and 100% sure she will sell it) and there isnt a rust hole in it i meen that not 1. The frame is solid,no headlights,1 broken leaf spring, 2 flat old tires,and the only thing that looked custom was the front bumper. It came with another motor,bellhousing,and a hole box full of extra goodies. He said it was running when he parked it. It could use a paint job lol but damm i said i gotta have it. This is buy far my favorite Jeep i have ever owned!! Oh yea i got a dollar an hour raise today to help restore it lol it was a good day in my jeep world today.
A life long project SCRAM

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
GOOD LUCK, SCRAM!!!!!!!!!!/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ty man You guys wont hear much about it for a month or 2 maybe 3 but when the parts hit her oh boy lol. SCRAM

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Can't wait to see pictures of the '44 next to the Cherokee....../wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lmao i am resaerching like crazy and out off all of them built that year mine was the 4199th one built. I will get pics as soon as i can get it home and use a cam. SCRAM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yea i said whats it worth how much do you want? he said it ought to be worth 5 or $600 isnt it and call me an idiot but i said sold for $600. I was willing to pay way more and respected the jeep more i guess. JEEP THING!!! SCRAM

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

hey scram,
good luck with it man and hope u get it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just a though, both my sons own cjs and the older just bought a 45 willys in N.C. body was very rusty but fixable and he paid $3,000.00 and that was a deal !! but all the original motor and running gear.
good luck to ya, KARL

89 2D XJ, 9+" OF LIFT, LOCKED F&R, 4.56, 4.1 LR, 38 X 12.5 TSLs AND TO MANY OTHERS TO LIST !!

I LIKE IT DIRTY,
XJ89XJ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

wow i guess i got a good deal then huh. Mine is all original too the spare motor was just that a spare motor lol. And running gear is originol too. I love this thing heehhe. SCRAM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.