Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. Me again just trying to learn here. So from what im told theirs 4 types of off roading. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the differences and whats better for my area (maryland, annapolis area) Right now i dont know anyone on the scene. All ive heard of around here is some people riding arround in a muddy field. Thanx.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im not sure exactly its what ive heard. Also whats the big differences in them? what do each of them involve?

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
never done it but i'm going to have to say that the 4th option is SAND DUNES! i dont know if trail riding can be its own type because it incorporates some rock crawling and mud together... i think there are really just 3 factions: mud, rocks, sand... take your pick. mud is the most fun for the least dollar, and it's my favorite

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Like Muddy is saying, it's really about what you will encounter offroad.
Mud
Sand
Rocks
and Maybe water crossings

It all depends on where you plan on taking your rig. A trail run can consist of all of the above. Or maybe you take your rig to the ocean sand dunes. Or maybe desert trails (lots of rocks, some sand) or forest trails (mud, rocks, trees, water).

there are events you can compete in that only have one element.

Depending on what you do SHOULD dictate how you set your vehicle up. I see sand dunes, forested trails, mountain snow, and just a bit of dry/desert type conditions, as well as runs to/from work daily, so I like my vehicle lift, engine mods, tires, gearing, etc. to accomodate all this. To go into all the possible combinations of tires/lifts etc. as to what works is a waste. Look at some of the pics/sites, read up on how these different vehilcles are setup, do a little wheelin' with your vehicle to get used to it, work on maintaining it, and as you learn more, ask some specific questions related to tires or lift or something.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
ya, its all about how you set up your truck for what you want to do.
i go woods trail riiding, snow rides, rocks, dunes, mud, everything.
the main choice would be tires. lift and axles.
i locked up both fornt and rear, so i can play in the rocks hard, but i take the consequences of the on road driving.
i did the solid axle for the extra strength it gained, me, and my big choice was tires.
i wanted aggresive with the rocks and mud, but wanted to float on the sand dunes, so that why i choosed a set of 36x14.50's where most guys would run a mt/at in 12.50 wide in the sand, and a 12.5 wide swamper in the mud, i took the best i could, an aggresuve mud tire slighlty wider for as much floation as i could get. i acually believe in in one of the most varying terrains aorund.
if i go north in WI, northrn IN, or MI i will encounter mud, and sand. if i stay where im at i will get mud, if i go south i hit the rocks, and it snows everywhere.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How about pre-running (desert racing)? I've recently bought a bunch of four-wheeler magazines; pre-running seems to be a distinct and popular "type"; course I'm just a newbie too.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
prerunning= way to many broken parts in a near stock suspension style bronco. would envolve major modificatiosn to the suspension system, and many mods to the TTB to make it take the abuse.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.