Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Starting to plan for a couple of winter projects, and am starting to gather parts. Is the A/C compressor for the 4 cyl the same as for the 6? If not, are all the 4 cyl compressors the same (figure a 4 banger Cherokee from mid 80's would be easy to find)?
I also heard something about the A/C equiped 2.5 having a different water pump (reverse rotation???). Any insight on this?

BTW, I'm also building an underhood Jeep shower for about $50-60 (that's the easy project)

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif FG, it was always my understanding that there were different compressors; although DIMENSIONALLY THE SAME; for the different engines so the load would not be driver-noticable. Like there is a 6.2 cu in York, and a 9 point something York compressor, so you can get the brackets off the four-banger, but get the slugger off a bigger engine so you won't take all day to air up./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif The SNOJEEP has this cool spare tire cover that my Jeepchick wife got for Christmas, made special with the inscription: "Got Jesus?" black cover with the same script lettering as the milk commercial. I got her a license plate frame that says: Jeep Chicks....on top, and ...Need Jesus Too...on bottom. It's blue/white, which matches her CJ7 SNOJEEP.... blue with white hardtop. My Jeepchick wife is a BOLD Christian. /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Dave, the brackets are the same (OK) and it's just a question of the bore and stroke of the compressor? Cool, so I'll scavange an A/C bracket from an old XJ with the 4 banger and find a compressor from a 6 (??).
Just check out the link in my signature, that'll give you an idea of where I stand on the big guy in the sky!
BTW, what part of the People's Republik of Kalifornia are you in?

·
Registered
6,355 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif NICE WRANGLEJEEP! Great club..... It reassures my assurances! We are in the snowy reaches of the Sierras, above Sonora on hiway 108....a little hamlet called Sugar Pine. Our SNOJEEP (under construction) is a CJ7 with modified Quadra-Trac drive for snow, plus a lot of other plusses. (that's why it's STILL under construction)/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The way to tell the compressors apart is to remove the pully. Look at the end of the crank... If it has a tapered edge it is the short stroke, if it has a square edge with a recess for a snap ring then itis the medium stroke, if it just has a square edge then it is the long stroke. The strokes are 7", 9", 10" respectivly. I just hooked up the old on board air and originally my stock compressor was the long stroke but it was pretty rough. I tried it but it didn't work too good. So i found a guy in california by the name of Larry Long. He sold me a compressor that had the long stroke but it turns out that the compressor blew more oil than air, clutch was bent too(I'd recomend not dealing with that guy, although he had brackets for cheap) I had enough so i just went and bought areman from the parts store. The long stroke was over $200 and the short stroke was only $140 so being a little tight right now i got the short stroke. It works pretty good though. I just run 2 air tanks and i'm hoping to get an air tank rear bumper to make sure i have enough air. Now if Grainger would quit screwing me around with my pressure switch that i'v been waiting for, for 2 1/2 weeks could get it finshed.

Al
My web page

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, now I'm about up to speed on the York. Does anyone know if this is the compressor that came on the early Cherokee's (if not what did they come with)? If not do they mount up with the same brackets (I'm thinking-no)?

WOW!! I havn't had this many questions about a project in so long.................
kinda reminds me of how I picked my name on this board.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I am almost done with my on-board air in my '85 CJ7 w/258, all I need is the belts. You can get a York on lots of Fords from the late 70's and early 80's. Try Fairmonts and F-250s, I have seen them on both. Most of the Cherokees I saw had Sanborn? rotary style compressors. Those don't have an external oil reservoir, and the bracket won't fit a York. Most of the AMC cars from 78-82 have the proper bracket and a York compressor. I got my bracket off an '81 Concord and an idler pulley from a '80 Spirit Wagon. Any York will work and the pulleys are interchangeable. If you have more questions send me an e-mail. I am off to get my belts tonight, hopefully I will be blowin air by the weekend.

TOM85CJ7

PS All of the above information relates to the 258, but I assume it is the same since all refernces in Haynes are for In-line six or 151 4-cylinder.

1985 CJ7 4.2L, T-176, Dana 300, 2.5" lift, 31" tires, DurabakOn-Board Air

·
Registered
725 Posts
When you pick up your compressor you might think about taking the pan off to check the rods and crank. I bought one from a yard off a Jeep Eagle. I check the cluch and turned the pully; everything seemed cool until I hooked it up and discoverd a broken rod.

Rob

83 CJ5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What kind of switch are you getting and what are the on and off pressures? I am using an ARB switch right now and would like to get a switch with higher pressure settings. the ARB is like 100 and 80 I think. Also, how much does that one cost. The ARB ran me 25-30 bucks.
I would appreciate it if you could e-mail me since I generally hang out at the Toyota board!
[email protected]
thanks

Mark

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.