Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4\" CJ-7 Lift question

I've got an '83 CJ-7 with a TF999 trans/ d-300 t-case/ d-30/ amc 20. (all stock). I want to put a 4" spring lift on it and have already decided to have a CV type rear drive shaft made. My question is, do I have to do anything with the front drive shaft, or is it long enough for the application? Do I have to have a CV joint type shaft made for the front as well as the rear? Will the front shaft clear the t-case skid plate, or does the skid plate have to be modified as well? I really don't want any drivetrain vibration, so if vibration is inevitable with a 4" lift, I will just go with a 2" lift. Thanks for info in advance!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
Re: 4\" CJ-7 Lift question

Mike, you won't need a CV front driveshaft. It's long enough so you don't have to do that. With a 4" lift you will probably need a longer
front driveshaft though. A friend has a 4" lift and there is no interference with the t-case skidplate.

Gary

G

·

Hey man, I have a 79 Cj7 with a 4 inch lift and i have no problems fornt or rear. I am good friends with the boys at my local 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers so they keep me upo on what i need to do. You really do not need a front or a rear. I do some crazy stuff and no bad news. My buddy at 4WPW has a 5 inch lift with 35's and no problems either.. Good luck.....matt

G

·

What you WILL need is longer brake lines. Driveshafts OK, but you may want to go CV in the rear, pretty steep angle.

Brad (from the 4 Wheeling center of the universe, 4 corners USA)

G

·

My CJ8 has a 4 inch lift. It's all stock with no problems. I do, however, have a longer driveshaft up front.

CJ8George
o[[[[o
85 CJ8,258,Weber32/36,4" BDS lift,4.10,35"tires,f/r lockers

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks guys, I will plan on a rear CV shaft, I'll wait until its done to decide whether or not to lengthen the front shaft. I know about the brake lines and I will also be putting a drop pitman arm on to correct the steering. Bumpstops will have to be longer as well, I don't want the 33's hitting anything under full flex. Thanks for all the info. A person would go broke trying to buy all this information./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.