Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a K1500 short bed with a 4.3 liter and it says Vortec V-6 on the valve covers but the intake is TBI. I have never heard of a 94 pickup with vortec heads and tbi but I do know that the s10 trucks and blazers had a cpi vortec. If anyone has some info on this engine please let me know. Oh, and I also was wanting a better exhaust sound so I put a gibson cat-back system on and it seems like a lost some power and the sound it only good to about 2000 rmps and only under load doesn it sound good. If I am cruising it is just a drone and above 2000 it sounds like a drone type of sound. If anyone knows if removing the cat and/or putting on headers would give a better sound please let me know.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Sounds to me like you lost some back pressure and that caused some torque loss. I personally think that engine sounds best with a flowmaster 70 behind it, but if you have to have the rumble I know a guy that has one with a 18" glass pack that sounds about as good as that engine gets IMHO. It's been my experience that some mods alone can harm performance, but in combination with something else they rock. I think a K&N FIPK might be in your future, but before you go out and buy one you should ask the experts on this engine over on the small GM forum. Or maybe one of the very helpful guys here with V6 S-10's might pop in. There aren't many if any at all fullsize V6 guys here, and that's why I said you should go to the small GM forum, I'm not trying to run you off though - stick around if you like

KS2

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
yup you've got a vortec engine alright. 4.3L engines have been vortec since the eighties...GM introdiced teh same type opf heads to the SBCs in 96 along with OBDII

·
Registered
322 Posts
A friend of mine put the Edelbrock TES headers/ and a catback system on the 4.3 in his S10, and loved em. Alone a catback system or headers don't make a whole lot of difference, but together they give you a pretty good increase in power. A high flow cat, or a gutted one will help too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.