Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 87 Wrangler with a 4.2 inline six. It hasn't ran right for at least six months but I don't want to pay a mechanic but I think I'm gonna have to. It starts knocking at about 2 thousand rpms and won't idle right. The exhaust sputters and the four wheel drive doesn't work. I rebuilt the carb and replaced the cap and rotor. The spark plugs and wires are all new. So I can't figure out why it won't idle. It only knocks when it is cold. The four wheel drive is the shift motor but I've replaced it once and it still doen't work. I'm pretty sure the transfer case is working. If you have any suggestions at all please email me at [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hOW MUCH DO YOU WANT FOR IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TIME TO SELL...nO JUST KIDDING man souds to me like some sensors needing replaced if the motor acts like that ..

Low Riders are for boys who can't get it UP...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toddash, ditch the vacuum disconnect and get the RocLoc from BDS suspension. Positive mechcanical engagement and ability
to disengage for sharp turns.

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well todd this is a bummer/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif
i can relate to the idle prob./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
lets start by checking the compression in all cyls.
do you have a compression gauge? not expensive and very valuable.
next lets set the timing.
do you have a timing light? cheap and needed./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
then we can commence with the carb. bbd carter?
check this site out as it helped me to the max!
http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/258bbd/Major.htm
also:
http://www.off-road.com/~lhsoo/yj-faq/yj-faq.htm
any questions at this point?
don't go to a mechanic!/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif
this board can fix you right up!
steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.