Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a diagnostic test done on the Jeep today and found that the vacume leak is at the intake manifold gasket. I've never done this job before but usually tackle most reasonable stuff. The local shop wants $400.00 to do the job but the gasket is only $30.00 so I can't possible justify the labor if I have the time. Is there anything that I should know about before tackling this project? Any suggestions would be greatful. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It's not 400.00 tough. I've done it and exhaust took about 3 hours, mostly keeping track of the vac lines. I suggest you number them, or take a pic to get them back where they belong. Good luck KEn

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The job is so easy you would want to kick yourself if you paid someone to do it (just my opinion, of course /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif).

Carefully mark all your lines and wiring, unhook the exhaust, remove the bolts holding the manifold to the head, and pull the manifold off. You will need to drain the anti-freeze because the manifold has coolant running through it. I picked up the gaskets at a Pep-boys for $15.00. Also, if you have power steering you can remove all the mounting bolts accept for one underneath and it will swing out of the way.

I put the later model intake on my 80 because I wanted to get rid of the mechanical heat riser. If you haven't done one before I would say give yourself 4-5 hours, last one I did was a couple of hours.

Also, when you put it back together there is a torque sequence you need to follow. So you will need a service manual.

Good luck,

~|_____
__|____|__
/-/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif||||/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif-\
(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)-o--(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)

Randy 80 CJ5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The easiest way to change the gasket is as follows. Remove the power steering pump and bracket, as mentioned on the previous post. Loosen the head pipe. Remove the throttle cable bracket for easier access to the manifold bolts. Use a 9/16" 3/8" drive swivel socket on the manifold to head bolts. Carefully move the manifolds out of the way an inch or two. Scrape off the old gasket completely. Use only the intake gasket and reassemble. Throw the exhaust gasket away, it causes the intake to leak, the factory doesn't use a gasket on the exhaust manifold to the head. You may find at this time that your old exhaust manifold is warped, and won't allow the end bolts to start. You can usually grind the tight spots away with a die grinder or a file. If it is severe or the manifold is cracked, replacing the manifold is the only thing to do. The Borla company makes a smog legal header that costs about the same as the factory new iron manifold. Hope this helps, good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.