Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I bolt my 2 barrel set up to the head and run it or do I need to do a bunch of other stuff?

Darrin V. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I want to get my engine completly off of the computer. I run a motorcraft 2100 and I am gonna swap out my 4.2 out of my 87 yj and put in a 4.0 but it was fuel injected. was just wondering if I could slap my intake and carb on this engine and go?

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
well, this is the place to find out... even if it is bassakwards to what most people want. But I'm sure if it's been done it's been done by someone on here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
might be bassackwards but I dont want to be on that computer. i beleive there ia a port for the fuel pum if not i will go with a 12 volt pump and a toggle switch! or just rigg it to the ignition! I THINK!!!lol!!!!

·
Registered
530 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
might be bassackwards but I dont want to be on that computer. i beleive there ia a port for the fuel pum if not i will go with a 12 volt pump and a toggle switch! or just rigg it to the ignition! I THINK!!!lol!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

And run it through the oil pressure switch too.
Good kill switch if you loose oil pressure.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Dude! Get a grip, move to a real town, and keep the FI...That hill your tires can barley make at Crackers Neck, will be damn near impossible with a carb...Even the 2100...drop the whole 4.0 in it and be done.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
May not be all that simple, depending -
Does the 4.0's distributor have a vacuum advance on it? If NOT, you'll need a distributor too. Most, if not all, the injected 4.0's used computer controlled advance.

The in "tank pump" will be waaaay too much pressure. Simply unplug it, it should flow through OK - then use a low pressure 5 lb electric pump.

Passing emissions tests will probably be impossible, they want stock!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Galen! my rig already has the 2100 I am wanting to swap out my 4.2 carbureted engine for the 4.0 fuel injected engine. I dont want to go through all the hassle of getting the computer and intank pump and god knows what other crap. As far as the hill at Uwharrie, I think the tires were the limiting factor. Hopfully that will be remidied soon! and as far as rich's question I am also doing the GM HEI upgrade. I want off of the computer! that brings up annother question can I do the GM HEI upgrade on a 4.0? I know the hole a.s.s out of u&me Thing BUT I ASSUME the upgrade is still the same on a 4.0? Anyone Know for sure?

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
We can talk about this some this weekend...The puter on the 4.0's is WAY advanced beyond the MAC+ that was in our carbed YJ's. There really isn't anything that is "wrong" with it. As long as you get the whole harness for the 4.0 the swap is not all that hard. For the fuel pump. Just hit VatoZone and pick up the Master E2000 pump attach it to your frame up by the tank and hook the pos and neg from the 4.0 harness to it. No internal pump needed.

G

·
Just going from a carb to FI added about 45 HP....
The 4.2 intake will not fit on a 4.0.
Trying to put a carb on a 4.0 intake leaves a lot of holes....there will be no heat riser or engine coolant to warm up the intake....without that it will take you half an hour on a good day to warm up enough to keep it running....and you gas mileage will most likely take a real dump.

Trust us....the computer is your friend.....why do you think I dumped the 4.2 normally asparated engine in favor of a TBI SBC? I'm tired of carbs....tired of flooding on hiles....tired of fair gas mileage.....truth is, once you understand how the FI setup works....it's easier to keep going.

Just my 1/2 cents worth

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.