Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 390 CFM 4 barrel Holley 4160 model on my 258 and it wants to flood out while I am off roading. Does anyone know where I can get an off road kit for this carb or is there something else I can do? Please help!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
The best off road kit you can get is an MC2100... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Go to some of your local racer/off road shops and ask around for someone who can work wonders with a Holley or any carb. In my town of 45,000 there is one carb genious who I've sent business to for anything from circle track and drag cars, to a 390 for a 258. My buddy with the 258 has had no problems in three plus years since having it massaged and rebuilt by a pro. It may cost you a bit mre, but should be worth it. Those Holleys are awfully stubborn at angles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Drop the float levels about an eighth of an inch.
Get a spring loaded needle set.
Rebuild the carb to specs.
Mine rarely ever stumbles off road. I am running a 390 holley on built 258.

·
Registered
10,815 Posts
And -- add the "white whistle" internal bowl vents, the jet extensions, and the external vent tube extensions on top. Set the floats a tad low. There must be a reason Holley has so many accessories to get them to run right.

Holley's a great carb - for clean environments. But they use so many tiny passages that a piece of grit that you'd never even notice in your eye will clog it up. Take along extra gaskets and a catch bowl to catch the fuel when you take it apart on the trail.

The Motorcrafts are simple and reliable -- and use big passages - not real efficient, but they work great off road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts