Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fresh 360 and everything to go with it except motor mounts to do my 258 to 360 swap. I am understanding that I need the driver side frame horn for a v8, the passanger side one that I have works.

My problem is I cant find the frame horn anywhere locally. Where can I get one of these?

I do not want the aftermarket mounts or poly mounts.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Actually,
My understanding is that the driver's side is the same for I6 and V8 and the PASSENGER side is what you need. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

If you are happy with your AMC V8 and are sure that you are going to keep it, I highly recommend the M.O.R.E. mounts. They are a bit pricey, but they are bolt-in and are a serious piece of hardware. They aren't kidding when they say "bomb-proof". They esentially turn your engine into another frame crossmember. Expect experiencing slightly higher vibrations carried into the frame from the engine, though.

http://www.mountainoffroad.com/

Chris

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[ QUOTE ]
Expect experiencing slightly higher vibrations carried into the frame from the engine, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't want the extra vibrations. If it means in 10 years I have to change the motor mounts, so be it. They are $10 each and not hard to change.

·
Registered
921 Posts
You can use the I6 frame horns. I slowly lowered my 360 into the engine bay until it contacted the frame horns and figured out where I needed the holes. I marked the horns, lifted the engine back out, removed the horns and drilled them. I cleaned them up and reinstalled them, lowered the motor back in and presto whammo, it fit like a glove, to bad getting the stupid bellhousing bolts back in wasn't so easy. You will need to use the block mounts from the v-8 and the rubber mounts for a 304. Mine is pretty built and I haven't had any problems with the rubber mounts yet, but I always carry an extra set. If someone wants to hook me up with a set of the MORE ones I'll take em, but I'm just a cheap broke public servant.

Good luck, let me know if you need anything else, I did mine last year.

-web

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
You can use the I6 frame horns. I slowly lowered my 360 into the engine bay until it contacted the frame horns and figured out where I needed the holes. I marked the horns, lifted the engine back out, removed the horns and drilled them. I cleaned them up and reinstalled them, lowered the motor back in and presto whammo, it fit like a glove, to bad getting the stupid bellhousing bolts back in wasn't so easy. [...] -web

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh... one more question Web: Any particular reson you removed them for drilling? Also being a "cheap [next-to-]broke public servant", I only have a hand drill... can't I just drill 'em while still attached to the frame rail? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

·
Registered
921 Posts
It was easier and I believe that I marked the locations on the inside of the horn. That and I wanted to clean them up a bit. I can't really remember to be completely honest, but I think it was a combination of those things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts