Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am completely rebuilding the short block my 360 that came out of a 81 wagoneer. I was just wondering because of the year built, would it be worth while to put in a different camshaft than stock. Would a cam with maybe a little more duration make a big difference in power? I am not looking for a race application just thinking the stock cam might suck.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I will be fuel injecting this motor with a TBI, I am thinking that might make a difference in what cam to get?

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, here are two cams I was told to get. Anyone have any feedback on them

Lift 445 Intake - 445 Exh
Dur 204 Intake - 210 Exh
LS 112

Lift 459 Intake - 480 Exh
Dur 205 Intake - 214 Exh
LS 110

BTW, does anyone know where to find the stock cam specs for this engine?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Both of those cams are on the mild side. If you are going with a TBI, then call the TBI manufacturer and get their specs for a camshaft and compression ratio.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Tell the guy at the injection place you want a little more horse power, but a LOT more Torque, and then order EXACTLY what he recomends.

·
Registered
13,432 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
I will be fuel injecting this motor with a TBI, I am thinking that might make a difference in what cam to get?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope you've done your research on this project.

A new non-OEM cam can really complicate the project. Remember that the EFI will require new PROMS to be burned for the new cam. That will require lots of trial and error, time, money, parts and Prom Burners, laptops, etc., to find the right combination for the new fuel map.

So, if you haven't thought about this little part of the project... now's the time to sit down and plan it out.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use MegaSquirt TBI fuel injection. I have to reprogram the fuel injection from the 258 to the 360 anyway and it is easy to do.

Since I am rebuilding the whole engine, I just want make sure I do it the best way possible.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered the cam. After talking to alot of people, I finally settled on a Lunati that will have 466 lift (both int and exh) and 207 duration (both int and exh) and a 112 lobe separation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts