Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok my friend located a good running 360 and wants to know what all he has to do to put it in place of his 258. he has an 82 cj7. i know one of the moter mounts wont work which one is it the pass or the driver. and will moter mounts out of a waggy work on the cj? can he use the radiator out of his jeep? its brand new. will the 259 alternator work with the 360? anything else that needs to be replaced or switched out???

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, can't answer all your questions seeing as I have never done this swap myself. However, I believe I have read on this BBS where the PASSENGER FRAME mount is the one that will need to be replced. Apparently, it can somehow be notched and made to work, but it might be just as easy to find a new one. I would also say that as long as the radiator in his Jeep is a 3-core or above, he should be fine using it with the 360. I am not certain on where the outlets are between the two models though, so that might be something to take a quick peek at. Good luck with the swap!

--Digger--

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ascanlon

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is the passenger side mount...you could probably go to a yard and pick up a CJ V8 passenger side mount for cheap. The I-6 & V8 radiators have the same outlets for the hoses. You will also need to move the gas supply line from the passenger side to the driver side. I think the alternator could be used on the V8, but I'm not sure. I am currently putting a 304 in place of a 258. There was a good write-up on the partsmike.com site. Do a search for the 360 swap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the posts that write up on mikeparts helped alot.

80 cj7 304, WC t-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, how 'bout on a YJ /w 258. Can you just notch out the passenger side mount on a YJ? Would there be any reason that the same things wouldn't apply to a YJ. I know that the engine is offset to the drivers side in a YJ.

I know that jeepgod has a 401 on a YJ frame, but for some reason I think it was a 2.5 frame.

Jason

----------------
[]llll[] '90 YJ & '88 Grand Waggie

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think I used my 258 alternator on my 360... had to change the pulley, but otherwise if fit right in. Look for the tech section on http://www.shortwheelbase.com for a 360 swap article.

'86 CJ7/AMC 360/TR Ignition/T999/D300/OEM D44 rear.../wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.