Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1980 CJ-5 258 I6, T-176 manual 4 spd, and a dana 300 t-case. I am about to purchase a 360 out of a wagoneer (year??) that had an automatic. My friend says all I need to do is get a fly wheel and a bell housing from another 360 and the engine will then be pretty much a bolt on. This seems too good to be true so if anyone thinks otherwise please tell me. I don't know much about this so please help me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
actually, think you should just need the flywheel and a CJ v8 motor mount. --setting aside things like exhaust, cooling etc. I don't know. I just decided to do this swap myself so I'm not speaking from experience

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bellhousing is exactly the same as the six, yes you need the right frame bracket, the V8 rubber mounts, the CJ brackets for the block to the mounts (NOT the same as the Wagoneer brackets) and a special 360 flywheel (balanced differently than the 6) A three row radiator (6 with a/c or HD cooling) should be fine for a near stock 360 as long as you use the factory fan (7 blade 19") and shroud. The trans will hold up to a mild 360 also if not thrashed too much.
All of the parts above are still available at the Jeep dealer, (tell them you have a '81 CJ-7 with a 304, it makes it easier on the parts guy), as are the hoses, belts etc. The common replacement parts are readily available at most good parts outfits. Best of all, it looks and runs like Jeep made it that way.
If you get the 360, be sure to get as much of the accessories and fittings with the purchase as possible ie. the carb, air cleaner, throttle cable and bracket, alt brackets, p.s. pump, fuel pump and lines, distributor, coil, wiring, smog pump and hoses, etc., as they can nickle and dime you to death later.
I have done about 6 of these swaps if you have any other questions. Good luck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.