Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats going on people. i got a 89 bronco and i bought it with a old school set up but it didnt have the power i wanted so i droped in a 351c that was pulled out of 11sec recked fairlane. ofcorse it came with difficulty and some swet. does any know if i need to replace the torque converter or will the ogr. work

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
What's the matter ?

Is the Windsor not using enough gas for you or did you hear Saddam is going to start lowering crude prices ?

Sixlitre

p.s./
Kidding aside, they came stock in the 78 & 79s and maybe even later, so check some of the 78-79 sites they ought to know. You realize it's almost the weight of a 460, with no cubic inch increase eh ?

·
Registered
398 Posts
The 351C as in cleveland never came stock in a Bronco.The 351M did in 78-79.The Cleveland is a high rpm high reving motor made to make it's power at high rpm's.IMO not necessarily ideal for a 4 wheel drive.If you're planning on mud bogging or something were you can wind up the motor then maybe.But for low end 4 wheel grunt the 351C is not ideal.Back in the day a buddy had a 71 Mach one with a 351C.It did'nt really come alive until 3500 rpms.But man would that thing scream on the top end.

Billy

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I thought the 351 M and 351 Cs had the same bell housing bolt pattern and motor mount ears. Ain't that so ?

Sixlitre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it bolted right up no prob. the only thing that i couldn't find was some headers so i used the ones that came with the engine. they also didnt fit so i had to do a little cutting but its ok

·
Registered
187 Posts
I always thought the 351 W and C had different bolt patterns, but my brother put a c-6 out of an 86 van with a 302 in his 71 mustang with the 351 cleveland.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just got done putting in a 6" lift and some 36" swampers.
those damn rivits were a pain in the [censored] but it looks good, now its time for a paint job. i have to wait for some more money tho. any input on color i was thinking white or black but black is so hot during summer and i have no a/c.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
OOOOHHH I know, don't get me started. Back around 1985 I was looking for a street rod and thought I had settled on the car, a 1969 White/black stripe mustang mach 1 with 351C. Guy wanted $2900 back then in pretty darn good shape, he was a mechanic. I test drove it, manual tranny, and that thing did scream. I don't remember now how far I let it go, but I had it past 6000rpm's. Seems to me the tach went up to 7k. I still could shoot myself for not buying it. [sad] Now, the only car I think I would ever buy for myself again would be a '68/69 mustang mach 1. Except now I will never find one like that for $2900!!!! The only thing I didn't like about that car/body was the rear window visibility....practically nonexistant, espcially with the louvers installed. But who cares, the body style was so hot

oh, never mind, back to Broncos. The point was I guess that I agree, not the best motor for a bronco, too much mid-top end. Can you do a cam change in them to lower the power range?????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats a good point but every thing is matched up right now and it might mess things up but ill look in to it, thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts