Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now have a 351m completely dismantled in my shop. Was told that they do not make a good engine for off-roading. It was given to me and had a spun rod bearing,it is rebuildable. What mods. do i need to do to make it the next engine for my 82 bronco (302). (pistons,cam,etc.)Iknow that i'll have to change bell housing (4-speed man.)motor mounts,etc. Will my 3:50 gears be o.k. or change.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Convert it to a 400. All you need is a 400 crank (you obviously need a new crank now anyway with a spun bearing), and 400 pistons (you need new ones of those too). The block, rods and heads are the same. Check cylinder bore. Is it virgin? Max safe bore on an M block is .040. Get a timing chain setup from a pre-72 400 (it wont have the 4 degree cam retard that dogged these motors when they had to comply with emissions standards. These are great motors that were plagued by emissions and rumors. Go to ProjectBronco.com check out the 351M/400 section of the message boards. All the specs. and part #'s have been posted at some time or another. They're a great bunch of guys. You'll have that 400 screamin' in no time.

And as far as it not being a good off raod engine.........it'll have more torque than you'll know what to do with if it's set up right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts