Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a GM Crate 350HO with vortec heads, an '87 305 TBI truck, a new 454 TBI unit, and the GM vortec-to-TBI manifold. Old engine has been pulled and is sitting beside the new one.

My questions/concerns are....

The intake manifold does not appear to have a port for the metal power brake line. Any ideas?

EGR has been disabled in the FastChip chip that I have to install. I have a plug for the port meant to receive exhaust gases but not for the place where the EGR valve mounts. For the time being can I mount the old EGR valve on the manifold and plug it? Anyone know where to get a block off plate for the EGR spot?

So far it looks like everything else will tranfer over, with the exception of some possible throttle cable issues that i have been reading about.

Is there anything else I should be ready for when connecting this stuff up?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
drill and tap the intake for the pipe tap on the metal line, make sure its right past the throttle body and as close as posible ( I think its 3/8" pipe)

I made a block off plate for the egr out of 1/2" aluminum stock it looks exactly like the bottom of the egr (i used a an egr as pattern) I don't really want to sell it, incase I do another injected car. you can use 1/8" stock and drill and grind and paint

You also need a fuel pump block off plate with the new short block and plug the hole for the manual clutch

Are they new generation heads (ls1 style with equally spaced exhaust and intake ports) or older fast burn style?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input.

I have a fuel pump block off plate and ordered an EGR block off plate from Pace Parts today.

I don't understand what you mean about plugging the hole for the manual clutch. Explain please?

Not sure what generation of heads, whatever comes with the GM 350HO engine.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just put a 97 vortek into my 89 using the tbi. What kind of tranny do you have? We had to put a T in the manifold for the vacuum of the brakes and the transmission. Not sure if that will help you on your brake line problem. I have the same intake, that goes from vortek style heads to the tbi injection. We had to do somethings with the egr but not sure exactly what, a friend of mine did all of that for me.
Hoped I helped out

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Ya, that helps. I Have a 4-speed manual tranny. I think that is what I am going to do is just find a T fitting for the vacume.

For the EGR I'm completely getting rid or it, not going to use it. It has been disabled in the chip anyway.

Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The blocks that I get have the hole drilled and tapped for the ball stud that is used for older style cars and trucks that don't use a hydrolic clutch, but use linkage instead. the hole is located on the drivers side close to the back of the block. most of them are drilled all the way through the block, a common bolt can be used to plug it. I think its 3/8" course thread.
Just looking at the heads you will be able to see if your manifolds will work, I'm pretty sure that they are gen 1 style like this
0-00-0 (old style)
0-0-0-0- (new style)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right...I know what you are talking about now regarding the ball stud.

Yes, the heads I have are the older style.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I just got my truck on running wednesday, and I think Im going to get rid of the egr as well cause we are not sure how to route the externally plumbed egr. Its setting the check engine light.

Anyway good luck

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
you can go one of 2 ways,
1) EGR on a vette (L98) 85-90 is plumbed externaly off the exhaust manifold via s.s. pipe and plumbed to the intake under the egr. you can tap right from your exhaust and into the intake close to whare it meets the head in the egr port and use the stock location
2)Have the EGR program removed from your trip. DO NOT run the truck with an egr chip and no egr, it will run very lean exspecially at freeway speeds in overdrive (torque converter locked out)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.