Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed repeatedly but I don't have any of the info anymore. Here's my questions:
1. What is the difference between 4-bolt and 2-bolt mains? How can you tell the difference?
2. What trannies bolt to the 350? I would prefer a manual because it is shorter and the jeep already has a stick. However this means I need a hydrolic clutch right?
3. What transfer case is suggested? Another Jeep one like the 23 spline np231?
4. Any ideas what will give me the longest rear driveshaft? I am running a 3" lift with loft of flex.
5. Any websites that detail this swap? I want to get almost everything I need in advance. The reason I am going to a 350 is the knock that my 2.5 developed recently. I plan on keeping the rear axles for a while.
6. Is there any setup (engine, tranny and t-case) that will work? IT would be easier than trying to find the adapter pieces and parts.
7. How hard is it to set-up an automatic? I've never worked with one, only stick shifts which is part of the reason I'd prefer another stick. I do know I'd need the master cylinder from the donor vehicle.

Thanks in advance for all of the input, sorry for the long post.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
For info on my swap, go to my web page, in my profile. This swap is very popular and gets asked A LOT on this board. Read about my swap and email or post any specific questions you have.

Just a note, a manual is a pain in the butt to install and may not be the shortest combo. My YJ was a manual with the 2.5L and I went to the TH350 auto.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif Big Ed
'88 YJ, 4" susp,3" body,33's,283 Chevy V8,TH350,4.11's,D30,D35c

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I am short on time, so I can answer the 350 2 bolt mains vs. 4 bolt mains question. The crankshaft is bolted into a block by it's main bearing caps (or nicknamed mains). The middle main bearing caps of a Chevy 350 are either attached to the block by 2 bolts or 4 bolts. There are lots of opinions about 2 bolt mains vs. 4 bolt mains. The simple truth is a 2 bolt main is usually less expensive to get and more abundant. If your budget is limited, get a 2 bolt main and spend the extra savings on something else. The biggest reason for a 4 bolt main (Chevy engineers) was vehicle weight and high RPM'S. The 4 bolt mains would not allow the crankshaft to flex like a 2 bolt main maybe could. For a light weight vehicle like a YJ there is no real need for the 4 bolt main. If you plan to run a 350 on a steady diet of over 5000 RPM then yes there is a real need for a 4 bolt main.
dave

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
A friend of mine in our Jeep club is installing a 350 into his 92 wrangler. He threw a rod all the way throuth the block, hence it is broken. The replacement engine is $1800. He had an 85 blzer in the backyard, now he is going to have a wrangler with a blazer drivetrain. and a springover. It is going to be mean
Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeeper" member

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses, keep em coming. I really appreciate the websites with descriptions and things to watch out for. On more thing, is the a site with info on the various Chevy 350s and TH350s (which is what I am settling on), what they were in, the output shafts (spline and lenght) and years. Thanks,

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a four banger

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nick,
I just spent $10.00 on Advance Adapters "Jeep Vehicles...Engine & Transmission Conversion Kits" It's LOADED with info on engines trannies, & T-cases, recommendations, tips, & (very helpful) a checklist of things to consider for an engine swap. What impressed me was the thorough way this manual is put together. They are selling a product, granted, but they do a whole page on engine location, (tips on Firewall clearance, front axle clearance, hood, driveshaft, steering box, Rad, crossmember, exhaust, oil filter, & mounts)which definitely helped me, (I had thought of about 1/2 of that stuff myself)

I'll TRY to scan & e-mail you anything helpful

I'm slowly compiling all the stuff to put a 350 SB Chevy into my CJ-7, and this was $10.00 well spent.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.