Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading out to a couple of wrecking yards today to look for 350 chevy - (I've been a follower of AMC for a while but the 304 has seen its day) Does any one have any suggestions on which donor I should be looking for. I was thinking a '91 Sierra w/TBI. Are there any specifics I should looking for?
As always the help is appreiated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would look for anything after 1987 (unless you want the axles like me), but I'm staying away from the Vortec b/c of the years it is offered, and I have heard it is harder to wire if you don't get the OE wiring harness. It would be nice if you could get the OE harness, but most of them are cut out. Instead you can get the harness from Painless (I think). A freind has the TBI and it is really nice for hill climbs, off camber sections, and rollovers. It is amazing that they can run upside down (not recomended doing this).

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some of the '88 & '89 TBI trucks had engine problems. Apparently, you should be able to tell if the donor truck is one of these if certain digits appear in the V.I.N. Unfortunately, I'm no help here as I don't know what those numbers are. BUT, if you go '90 or newer, you avoid that problem. Make sure you get ALL of the computer stuff & anything remotely connected to the motor.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 87-89 TBI engines had some trouble with the injectors I think. We had a 1989 Chevy pickup that a problem when it was only injecting into 6 of the 8 cylinders, but we took it in and it was easly and quickly repaired. We never had problems with it after that. Most of the trucks this happened to were repaired under warrenty. If you can get a good 87-89 engine I would say get it, but 91 and up seem to be the prime ones to get. I'm getting an 87-90 out of a 1 ton b/c I want the axles as well. The slight problem the engines had doesn't bother me.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually, the motors I mentioned had internal problems - like bearings. Most of the bad ones shot craps under 60K, so there probably aren't many left anyway. Only the Crew-cab One-ton's had a solid front axle after '87, BTW.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't know about internal problems, just the injectors that GM fixed under warrenty. I know about the 1-tons being crew-cab solid axle after '87, and not all of those trucks are running 350s. The reason I haven't started the project yet is that I haven't found the right truck in the right condition, but I know a guy who owns a junkyard and he wants to see me this weekend.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.