Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 1/2" rancho lift 1" body and 1 1/2" +/- shackel and i want some bigger tires, dose it sound like i have enough room for 34x9.5x15's? i will be using 10" wheels. i curently run 32x10.5's. also is there a good on-line tire store?

gdm

G

·
It would fit, but the tires will probably not fit, or not look right on the 10" rims.. it will give you the lowrider effect on the rims, with really narrow tires.

JR
Everyone has to believe in something, I believe I'll have more lift.

G

·
If you run a 9.50, you need an 8 or even 7" rim. You will go through sidewalls faster than gas through a funnel if you use that wide of a rim with a tire that narrow.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend
All my Jeeps are in pieces!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
that would look odd, 8" would be better, that would make it 3 sets of wheels. do you think that is enough lift?

gdm

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
that would look odd, 8" would be better, that would make it 3 sets of wheels. do you think that is enough lift?

gdm

G

·
You probably have pretty close to enough lift. Once you figure out what wheel you will use (so you know the backspacing), you can get out the old tape measure and check clearances with the suspension cycled. Often, the skinny tires will fit where a wider tire of the same height will not. The width is a big concern, especially for a trail rig where the tires are in the fenderwells a lot. I have run 33X9.50-15's on trucks with no lift and not had clearance problems. I am not sure on your jeep, but I would bet the first spot to check should be the clearance on the front springs. I have never had a Jeep whose front tires didn't rub on the springs. I think it was Tyres International that had a really good price on 34x9.50-15 swampers.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
You won't retain a bead with an 8" rim either, and I've seen a alot of people running 7" rims loose a bead as well. I run the 32x9.5's on a 5.5" wide rim and it's perfect, at "rest" (tire not on the rim), the distance between the beads was 4.5".

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

G

·
I run 33X9.50R15 on my 80 CJ 7 with only a 2.5" procomp lift and sway bar disconected and have not had any rubing. I think that you should be fine with 34's. I would not put them on 10" wheels as has aready been noted.

bandhmo

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
JEEPN,
I believe you are running Sammy rims for the 34's. how is the backspacing on the Jeep?? I am looking into getting a set of sammy rims to run 34's on. I have 8 inch rims now and they will be too wide. Without me running out with a tape measure, does anyone know what stock CJ rims run in width?? I have a set on my parts/for sale jeep and i am thinking of taking them off it.

Dan Stewart 1963 CJ5 "Caloosa Jeepers" member

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Actually I'm running 32's, but they're the same width as the 34's.

Stock rims should be 7" wide with 3 3/4" backspacing, but it depends on the package the jeep came with, some had 8" rims and some had 6" rims.

The Zuk rims are 5.5" wide, and they're great, the backspacing is 4" though, quite a lot. Because I didn't want the tires rubbing in the front, I cut the center piece off the rim, inverted it, then welded it back on to give me 2" of backspacing in the front (yes, they balance fine). I have heard of people running the rims inverted to get better backspacing, but it just doesn't look right. My valve stems are on the underside of the Zuk, but I got some 90 degree ones for a dually and they seem to work fine.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine
'88.5 Zuki, 5" Calmini, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I believe the Rims are the 6 inch wide ones, because the jeep they are on is a 1970, and they seem to be original. I might have to take them for my own personal usage. Now i have to figure on what to put on. I am riding 8 inch wide wagon wheels and i have access to my old 10 inch wagon wheels. Will 33 x 12.50's go on the 6 inch wheel without any trouble?? That is the tire I am running now?

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
No, the 33x12.5's won't fit onto the 6" rims well, I'd put them on 8" rims.

JEEPN
Winter Harbor, Maine

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
THanks,
I thought i might be pushing it to put 33x1250s on 6 inch rims. I will leave them on the 8 inchers. Now I have to find some rims to throw on the parts/for sale jeep so i can use the 6 inchers. Time to ponder. Thanks

G

·
34x9.5? That would definitely look odd on any rig. when you increase diameter, increase width too, unless your goin for the wagon wheel look. My opinion

Give me some fresh air, and give me that farm, give me some time with you in my arms, cause I'm gonna feed my soul, where the black top ends...

G

·
They might look odd, but for all purpose, you can't beat a narrow tire. I have been running 33x9.50's for years on my trucks, and I have not found a better all around tire than a narrow one. Suspension and steering both last longer, the tires wear better, and for just about everything but mud-bogs they will work better. You will also get better mileage and be able to stop better than you would with a same height wide tire (less rolling mass).

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
WISE WORDS OF WARNING.

Get the 12.5 wides not the 95.
Ive got 33/9.5 and they look goofy, like a samuri, 34/9.5's will look more goofy.

Do you think insurance will cover the carb if it some how "teleports" behind the tires of a 350 with dualies?

G

·
Don't listen to them about the "goofy looking" tire. (If you're worried about how your Jeep will look, go buy a Liberty!) I run "pizza cutters" on my flatty and love them! As mentioned before, with the 9.5's I can get away with less lift. The tires stuff into the rear fenders wells instead of hiting the lip. Plus I find that I can get better traction on the loose stuff because there is higher force on each tire (smaller contact area). But they're not well suited for mud because they have less flotation than the 12.5's. I mounted mine on 8" rims because that would give me the option of running 12.5's at a later date. However I most likely will never make the swicth, so I should have gone with the 7". I think they're 3" back spacing.

My name is Ted, and I'm a Jeep-a-holic. /wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif
[email][email protected][/email]

·
Registered
288 Posts
i am running the 34x9.50's on my 65 cj. i have the 15x7 black rockcrawlers along with a 4 suspension and 1/2 inch shakle lift. personally, i think the skinny tires make it look mean. i have always like the look of the old army jeeps and thats the look i have now. not to mention, 9.50's are a helluva lot easy to turn than something wider.

92 FullSize Blazer Sport 3" 285/75 Geolander MT x8000i Trans4mer 4.10s
65 CJ5 302 Ford 4.5" 34/9.50 TSLs Warn OD 4.27s
79 Scout 6" 33/12.50 TSLs 4.88s Welded Diffs

G

·
All you wide tire lovers must either have power steering or some hellacious big arms. Probably also a big budget for steering components. For all purpose tires, go skinny or go home.

Cage Up, Wheels Down
Jeepfiend

1 - 20 of 22 Posts