Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
33\'s or 35\'s?

Here's the dilema:

I came across a deal on 4 brand new 35" ProComp Xterrains for $375. (A deal I couldn't pass up.) This whole time I've been setting up the Commando to run 33". (3" Alcans, and a 2" body lift.)

I'm running a 401, so power isn't necessarily an issue, but with 3:73's and a stock dana 20 T/C, I'm not starting with the best of crawl ratio's. I doubt that even with the 5" of lift that 35's would fit properly w/out some fender trimming. I also have the stock Dana 30 up front which, from reading prior posts, may not be up to the task of 35's. I'm not opposed to trimming if it is worth it for the 35's.

Here's my question: Given the drawbacks (fender trimming, worse crawl ration, more likely to bust an axle, etc..) do the advantages of running 35's over 33's make it worth it to keep them, or should I swap them for some 33's?

BTW, though I do plan on doing some moderate to difficult wheeling, I'm not necessarily a "balls to the walls" type of driver.

Thanks

· Registered
457 Posts
Re: 33\'s or 35\'s?

Curt,
You are changing horses in midstream! With the 401, you should have the leeway to run a larger tire, but the 33's are going to be a better choice, for the reasons you gave.
When I put the 36's on my 71, it led to 456 gears, D44 front, and trimming the rear panels. Did a SOA and all the other stuff. The D30 is marginal, but some of the guys are using the D27 with fairly large meat and a locker and still going down the road. My 27 lasted about 30 minutes after the Buckshots hit the road...soon as I went to 4 wheel high, the thing grenaded.

You will only be gaining 1" of height over the 33's, assumming that the tires actually measure true. A lot of them don't.
It isn't a 'balls-to-the-wall' driving style that tears stuff up. A Scrambler driving buddy of mine jumped a 12" pine tree on an uphill trail, and blew out his D30 and driveshaft when the front landed.

From the post, it seems you have bought them, so, mount the things up and give 'em a try.
If they don't work, you can sell 'em and recover your bucks or swap for the 33's.
GL

· Registered
2,102 Posts

even with 33's, you'll be surprised how easy it will be to destroy your junk with a 401. 3.73's are still alittle tall for 33's, 4.88's would be optimal. SOA that 2'' lift and remove the body pucks and you'll have something.

G

·

When I went from 33s to 36s, it was like going from a geo metro to a cadillac. The difference offroad was absolutely amazing. I am still running the dana 30 up front (open) with 3.73s for now. I have a NP435 in front of a stock dana 20. I do have to start in low on the street, but with the V8 and the granny low on the trail, I am still in a useable crawl ratio. If you plan on doing more than wheeling at the mall, the 35s are the way to go. Don't go overboard on mods, just see what breaks. Maybe you will get lucky like me and your dana 30 will live for ever. Remember, press lightly on the skinny pedal, don't stab it. Its lots cheaper on parts

· Registered
10,738 Posts

The difference between 33's to 35's is only 6%.

That's 6% less crawl, 6% higher speed on the highway (or 6% lower RPM for the same speed,) 6% less acceleration, 6% more strain on the diffs from torque etc.

If power and torque are going to break things, you are 6% closer to it.

But - you have alao an inch more clearance, and an inch more ability to climb over obstacles.
But the footprint length - contact patch - is more than the 6% increase - so the tire floats better and grips better.

If you drive it 6% more gently, it'll be the same.

But then - how can anyone drive "gently" off road?

I'd go the 35's, then upgrade when you can.

· Registered
5,472 Posts

I agree with Toad on the 3.73s being a bit tall. Granted, they're great on the highway ([email protected]), but lug on hillclimbs by the time you hit 2nd. I'll probably go 4.88 if/when I go to bigger housings later on. Since narrowtrac D30/D44 parts are not highly regarded around here, they're rather cheap & plentiful. Mount those things and see what gives!

I cleared 33" swampers (about the same height as 35" radials) with SOA, slight trimming of the fenders leading edge (the "ugly trim" from Chris D.), and complete removal of the rear factory "flares". On a 10" rim with 3.75" BS, you shouldn't have any rubbing.

· Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for the reply's.

As I've always longed for an extra inch or two (come on, who couldn't use an extra inch.)
I've decided to go ahead, trim up the fenders, and throw on the 35's.

I'm running a TH400 so the torque converter should help a little with the tall gearing, and if it is still too high or I explode ths Dana 30, it will be a good excuse for a 44 up front with some 4.88's?

Thanks again for the help.

· Registered
2,102 Posts

buy a big externall tranny cooler, all that "helping" in the torque converter, your talking about, equalls LOTS of heat.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.