Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
33\' Tires

I'm looking to outfit my '89 4.2 IL6 Wrangler (2 inch Skyjacker lift & 2 inch body lift) with some 33' tires (and rims). I'm looking at 33/12.50R15 Wrangler MT's (mostly on road driving - ocassional offroading) and American Eagle rims. Is this a resonable choice? Also, I was looking at 4Wheel Parts --- has anybody mail ordered tires? I haven't looked at any local stores yet -- I'm betting that they would be more expensive. Any advice?

Many Thanks

Bob Knier

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 33\' Tires

I would love to know what kind of lift you are getting to fit 33 foot tires :)

Now, seriously, the mail order is always cheaper as a general rule. I looked at 4WPH and they told me that if I ordered tires and rims from them they would give me the mounting, balancing, and road hazard warranty. They said that if a tire was not balanced they would foot the bill for my local shop to do the balancing. I do not trust 4WPH as a general rule b/c there sales people are tooeager to make a sale. I was in sales for 5 years and these people must be getting commision cause they are pirhanas. If you call and ask them several questions about the tire and rim package tell them right off that you are only asking questions and it will be a few weeks till you order. They usually give you the brush off. At any rate, take the magazine prices to your local tire shop and see if they will match, beat, or get close to the magazine price. If so, you got your tires locally and will never have to pay shipping to send a defective tire back. I am buying BFG. MT's. I got a local shop to match price from Costco, like a Sam's club, and then took the local tire dealers printout to Wal-Mart. Wal-Mart matches competitors prices, as long as the competitor is not a wholesaler, within a 30 mile radius of their store. Now, I got my BFG's at Wal-Mart so when I wheel and knock the balance out I can go to the nearest Wal-Mart and have them rebalanced, rotated, repaired, whatever, for free. Ta Da Just shop around and you can usually make a good deal when buying new tires. Good Luck

PS. I know that you spell Wholesalers with a W, I used 4WPH b/c I think that is the way there ad spells it, with an H. May be wrong though. And I do NOT know how to spell pirhana, anyone know if I got it right.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif 1976 CJ-7,CHEVY 350, 33'S, 3" LIFT, THAT COVERS MOST OF THE MAJOR STUFF /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

i work at sams club tire center and was just talking to the goodyear rep and he said the mts and the mt/r are a very soft trie and probably wont do to good on the road but excellent on the trail bfg makes the hardest rubber compound on offroad tires they will probably last the longest there is a guy with an 88 k5 and he has and this is documented 110000miles on some 33x1250 bfg mud the key is balace rotate and what alignment you can get. oh and if your wondering why a goodyear representitive was so honest i told him i wanted the new mt/r and i have known him a while
PJ

·
Registered
1,246 Posts

Check your local dealer carefully. Mine offers full road hazard, free balancing every 2500 miles, rotation, air checks, and they are in town. These warranties from 4WPW or any other mailorder place are not worth much if it costs you to use them or you must put vehicle out of commission while they are being serviced. It is worth it to me to pay an axtra $20/tire for this service. Plus they are willing to try different sizes, experiment with rim sizes, backspacing, and such to find the optimim for me.

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.