Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
31\'s or 33\'s

Last post I was questioning economy, now I'm questioning oversized tires (on a 4-banger)! Whats up with that? I know this has probably been covered over and over but most of the responses seem to be aimed more towards hard core off-roading, so here goes. First my driving style is mostly road with some beach driving when I head north. So my suspension doesn't need to be flexy and I can get by with maximum size tires in regard to room. Just don't want sheet metal contact or rubbing during most normal turning. Will 31's fit stock? Also will 33's fit with a 2"body lift with 8" rims. Would rather stay away from a 3" as the blocks look a little on the skinny side. I have the chance to get an 88 351 bronc. with almost new 31's and presently have an unused 3" kit for a bronco. I see where this may end up! Hum, bronco with 36's and jeep with 31's or just a jeep with 33's.
I'd rather stay away from the susp. lift on the jeep as I question u-joint reliability with all the highway driving I do. (could be wrong though). Also price. And on the beach, I feel flotation is more important then frame clearence.
Sorry if I babbled!
Thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 31\'s or 33\'s

30s should fit without rubbing, 31s won't. 33" will fit with a 3" body lift, not with a 2". If you do sand driving mainly go with 8 or 10" rims and 30x10.50 or 11.50, 11.50s may be a tight fit on 8" rims though.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a Chevy TBI 350

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

If you dont plan on changing gears stick with 31's, you will have NO power with the 33's. and if you are looking for wheels stick with 8" or narrower unless you are going wider then 12.50" with the tires, the narrower rim keeps the tires on the rim better expecially when aired down.

Jeff
'83 Toyota long bed
5" lift, YJ front springs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

However, narrower rims make the side walls stick out farther. The disadvantage for this guy is that he doesn't want any rub. The larger rims stick out farther there-by preventing the wide tires from rubbing on the springs.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a Chevy TBI 350

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks for the input everybody. My options just changed around a little bit though. Seems the rims that are on my jeep now , which I thought were 15X8's, say 15X7 on them. OOPS! I swear they measure exactly like the stock 15X8's on the bronco. So seems 31X10.50 with a possable 1" body lift might do. And the bronco. No, not again! More money to spend! I don't mind rubbing on the leafs as I don't have to turn that far. And if they hit the rubber flares at compression, that won't bother me. I only picture that while crossing deep ruts or speed bumps. Just don't want any sheet metel modifying contact.
Once again,
Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.