Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an issue I haven't seen discussed in a while. I've considered for a long time getting rid of my headers (I have no idea what make, they came with the jeep) in favor of the stock exhaust manifold for the following reasons:

1) They're a huge pain to keep tight and well sealed.

2) The exhaust is routed outboard of the frame, which hinders any kind of roll cage frame tie-in or rock bumper (though the mufflers often attempt to perform that function -- poorly).

I have never seen the stock setup, not even in a manual, so I'd appreciate opinions on:

1) Power/Torque comparisons between stock and modified exhaust setups.

2) How is the exhaust routed in the stock configuration? Would I be any better off with the stock manifold or does that run external to the frame as well?

3) Any other pros/cons

thanks

-joe

·
Registered
4,618 Posts
if you go stock.. take it apart.. i looked at elusives the other day.. and they have some baffle thinging in there. that was frozen closed.. but if you just use the manifolds.. and run your own exhaust.. i dont think the difference would be that much.. i dont have numbers on this.. just an opinion.

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe the stock exhaust was routed with a "Y" pipe set up. I'm running a 360 with stock manifolds and just redid the exhaust from manifolds back inside trhe frame straight out the back on the drivers side. I had it crossover just in front of the rear diff. Its not as roomy under there now but i like it so far. No headers to compare it to sorry

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it./wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

·
Registered
168 Posts
I used to run headers on my 304 that exited outboard of the frame and then switched to the stock manifolds. The headers were noisy, hard to keep tight, and the exhaust would choke you at stoplights. The original stock set-up used a cross over "Y" pipe that traveled right under the tranny and wouldn't fit with the T-98, so I ran a dual exhaust all the way back to exit behind the rear wheels. The "Y" would have hung too low for my taste, anyway. The dual exhaust tucked up nicely inside the frame rails. I never had the jeep on a dyno, but I did notice a slight power drop after installing the stock manifolds. Mostly mid-range so no great loss. All in all, I am happier with the set-up. I would advise taking a dremel stone to the exhaust passages... I did not. That might improve things somewhat. FYI, Hedman makes an in-frame header for around $130. That was my original idea, but I had the manifolds for nothing.

Nuke the unborn gay whales for Jesus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.