Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the coolant temperature override switch on my 72 304. It is part of the emission system. I'm not sure the parts guy knows what I need and I know that I don't. Looking for a part number/source. This switch is threaded into the T-stat housing and has three vacuum lines coming from it. Parts guy says that I have a choice of two different temperature settings. My chiltons book does not indicate a choice. I believe the lower temp. choice was appx. 160 degrees. Is a higher temp preferable? (Daily driver)

What symptoms will my motor have if this is bad. Replacing everything any way but just curious what this thing does. If you know what this does, type slowly so I get it.

Thanks for your help
Scott

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif Scotty.....the part number for the one you need is Echlin 2-1024 Use the 160 degree one...you'll be fine. What the switch does is hold high vacuum on th espark advance during warmup. Once the engine warms up, it shifts over to the advance port on the carb. If the switch isn't working, you may have noticed poor acceleration or poor fuel mileage or both. The port farthest from the threaded base goes to the intake manifold vacuum source(it may be shared with some other hoses off that same source) and the center port goes to the distributor vacuum advance. The port closest to the thread goes to the spark vacuum port on the carb. Hope this helps. /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

CJDave
I never believe any statistics unless my moonguys /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif made 'em up themselves.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.