Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Fellow Bronco Owners,
This is my first time here so be gentle:)

My '94 Bronco has a really tired engine, it is a 5.0. I'm wondering how much would I gain in H.P. and Torque by installing a 347 stroker over the stock 302? Let's assume that I use the stock heads, cam, intake etc., etc..
Let me say here that I'm NOT looking for a bracket racing bronco, although that would be cool, I just want more GRUNT when it comes to wheeling and pulling my boat.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Got to agree with the Juice

Heck of a lot cheaper, with less hassles than the heavily modified 347. For the kind of money they want for a 347, you could buy a 460 equipped cube van, line it up next to the Bronco and swap everything over.

Sixlitre

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
IMHO I agree with the other 2 posts go with the 351 or better yet do what sixlitre suggested and give serious thought to the 460 conversion this is the best motor for a Bronco. Do like sixlitre says get a donor vehicle and swap everything over and then you have a Bronco to have fun with. Hope this helps and Good Luck,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im loving the 460 idea, we obviously didn t buy these
vehicles for gas milage,LoL, i can see headers, mounts,
harness, but im kinda clueless with the tranny,im sure
theres adapters and such,but has any one done it
fuel injected 460-----sounds wild

KILLLLAAAAAA

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I think a 460 would be much more expensive and difficult. You would need to buy a new radiator, computer, and big block transmission. That's just a small list of new things, plus the wiring will be a bitch. My 302 is currently in the shop getting bored and stroked to 347. We'll see how it works out. A 351 isn't a bad idea, but a 347 with a mild RV cam will put out more power. Maybe I'm just biased cuz I'm going the stroker route, but my first plan was to put in a 460. A 351 could be the cheapiest route, but I just got a whole new exhaust system and a 351 computer was 600 bones at FORD.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My friend put a 347 in his 88 stang, it had some mean torq. had troubles getting it to run right. it needs a came with good duration and high lift. are you running the stock heads, and is the motor still speed density? Ive been curious how the stroker would run in a 4x4 let us know. I used to live there in medford as well. who is building the motor for you. and how much is it costin.

good luck

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Yeah, I've also heard good things about strokers and massive low end torque. I'll be running the stock heads and a mass air conversion kit from Ford Motorsports unless I can find another company. Bullet is rebuilding the sucker and I trust them unlike some other places around here. Not sure about the price yet, but it will hover around 2k. They wanted 1200 for the rebuild which included .030 bore and mild cam. Wrench Works wanted like 4-5k for the rebuild, which included installation.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you might consider a set of gt 40 heads for it. they will flow a bit better, that motor will love you for it. 2k doesnt sound bad at all. do you have a man or auto tranny in your rig.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello Shovel,
I'm down in eugene and was going to get my engine rebuilt in the next few months. Is the place you took your engine to reputable and do good work. Have you got your engine back yet and what do you think. What did the engine rebuild consist of. Its only a 3 hour drive up there so if there good no more searching hard to find competent mechanics though.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey there shovel, just wondering on the progress of your 347 hope things are goin good. I'm itchen to hear the results.

Keep us posted.

Later

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shovel,
I too just dropped some cash on a totally new exhaust system. The 460 is out of the question for me as well, too much converting. I guess I'm just curious as to the H.P. and Torque numbers. I want LOW end torque. Know where I can get some specs?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I stand strongly behind the 302 in Broncos. Mine has over 200,000 miles and might even be the original motor. I have put 55,000 miles on it myself so it is far from new. A couple days ago I was pulling my 18 foot car trailer with a car loaded on it and passed three other cars that weren't going fast enough for me and only got passed twice myself. My motor has no mods...bone stock. It also screams through the mudholes with myy 33's and 35's.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Re: 302 VS 347 Specs

Speedomotive has several kits.
Just scroll past the Chebby stuff to get to FORD.

Some of the specs include hp/torque specs with cam/carb/intake/head combos.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
DIGGER, the place is called Bullet Custom Engines and Machines. Their number is (541)776-0692. They were recommended by a family friend who has been around cars and the Rogue Valley all his life. As I stated in my previous post (5.slOw), these guys race and win a lot of trophies. Mechanics into racing always seem competent to me, especially if they're winning. With all that said I'm still waiting after 2 weeks and a half. Last time I checked they said the ARP bolts wouldn't clear the stock connecting rods so they were in the process of ordering new ones. I also tried telling them about the Coast High Performance kit and they said they don't use kits, because they like to select the parts seperately due to quality issues. That shut me up. And with all this said, I still haven't got my engine back yet, so I'm not gonna give them my complete recommendation until I see the final product and have time to test it.
They also do engine dyno testing, so I'll definetely be giving it a run and I'll post all the specs of the engine and its output. All this talking about it is torture, I'm ready to drop that baby in.

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
wouldnt it be cheaper to sell your old block to a local rebuilder after you factor in freight? that place seems like a good deal! i can get a rebuilt 460 with 70k mile warranty for $1600
definitely something to think about.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
sure it would, and they even suggest you look into that route. What I would like the most would be to send them my core, and have them rebuild my core and send it back to me. Assuming I keep mine in good condition. This is probably way down the road for me as I don't drive very many miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was looken at a couple of sites last week. they had the different stroker kits and they gave a little dyno chart with each. It appeared the 331 kit had a bit more torque at low end then the 347 had. what i didnt understand is they used a different setup for each dyno . they would use different heads and cams along with different carbs to show results. the 331 kit was more expensive to which sucks. it would be nice to see how each kit performs with same heads and carb. cant wait to hear about shovels results.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts