Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm looking to swap in a fuel injected 302 from a crown vic. i had a 258 with a t-5 and dana 300 t-case but i blew the tranny after 145,000 miles. my buddy gave me a 3 speed with a transfer case out of an older cj but i don't know what model it is. the bellhousing matches up to my 258 and the spline is the same. i want to take that tranny and mate it to a 302 and do a complete driveline swap. i have heard that a 302 will go in a jeep pretty easily, but its hard to find headers that will fit. advance adapters recommends a stock exhaust manifold but i really want to put headers on this puppy. has anyone done this swap? any suggestions would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think the reason you are not getting any replies on this is that this is not just a bolt in swap, there are many small details, and they have all been discussed here in the past, folks just don't feel like reposting all that stuff. I just did a search, there are many, many pages of posts concerning this swap going way back, for instance H8Monday (Jeff) had a lot of stuff on his swap a while back. Search under both "5.0" and "302". I recommend not doing this search on a dial up connection, there is so much info you will be here a while.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I agree with the previous post. It's been posted over and over. You need a bellhousing from a standard shift 302. It should bolt to the 3sp tranny. Then work everything forward. Most are using the M.O.R.E. bulletproof engine mounts. I made my own. Headers are a tall order. Shorties wouldn't work with my clutch linkages. Block huggers wouldn't work with the front driveshaft. I never got around to trying some "LONG" headers, like from an older F100. I also wanted to try the comet/maverick headers. I just ended up using everything from a '79 F100.

You might want to make the decision now to go with a newer EFI 5.0. It's the same motor, and is a better swap. I just finished this swap, and feel as though I've done a lot of it twice. Wish I knew about the EFI swap sooner!!

Anyway... do a search. You'll find more info than you can digest. If you run into specific problems, post here... or PM me... glad to help.

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
The tranny should be a T-150 and the t-case will be a Dana 20.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.