Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3\" lift w/ 33x12.5 on 15x10 wheels?

Ok. I have seen on different web sites that you must have a 4" lift to put 33x 12.5 tires on the older Chevys (86). I have also seen where it only requires 3" lift (which is what I want. So does anyone know if I can run 33x12.5 on 15x10 rims with 3" lift on an '86 GMC truck? thanx

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
http://mnorby.virtualave.net

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: 3\" lift w/ 33x12.5 on 15x10 wheels?

Yes you can. I run a 85 K5 with 33x12.5 on 15x10 wheels and have no problems with a 2.5" lift. I think the rims have 4.25" backspacing. It depends on the type wheeling that you do. Around here there is a lot of sand and mud, so a lot of lift is not necessary, motor and tires are. Here is a pic of the flex that I get.

The right front was just rubbing, had the tire been straight it would have stuffed more. I may or may not trim the fenders, they don't rub that much for what I do. oh, yeah the sway bar is still connected. If you disconnect the sway bar you will probably need 4" of lift.
With the cost difference between the 3" and the 4" being minimal, you may just want to go 4"

Rob 85K5
Bleedin' Chevy Orange

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Hell yea.I have a 3" lift with same size tires and wheels and I would almost swear you got more room than my 1997 does.My tires get real close to the front bumper in turns but Im about to fix that little detail.Besides that no rubbing at all.$ wheel Parts Wholesalers can tell you what back-spacing youll need.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Thanks for hte help. On the old chev I don't think there would be a problem with rubbing the bumper. If I was rubbing it I have other serious problems. Anyways. I'm not sure if I wanna go to the 4 inch but I don't think 2 is enough to run 33x12.5

'86 GMC 4x4 Shortbox SS
http://mnorby.virtualave.net

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.