Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the better of these two suspension modifications? The Revolvers are simpler to put on, but the 3/4 should be cheaper. Which gives the most articulation? How strong are both of these? Thanks.

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the revolvers and....

cost aside (the revolvers ARE expensive) I think it boils down to how much on road stability you want. The revolvers work very well, but their main advantage over buggy leafs is that you get the flex without sacrificing on road stability, whereas a buggy leaf design will affect on road stability some. If you are only concerned with off road performance, then I would think that the buggy leaf would work as well or better (with some tuning), and be much cheaper. I think it would be possibly less reliable, but you can solve that easily by bringing a spare buggy leaf with you - takes no room at all. But if you care about on road stability/ daily driver ability, then you might opt for the greater stability of the revolvers.

I can tell you the revolvers work, but do require (as buggy leafs would) changing other things like shocks, shock mounts, brake lines etc.

Just my 2c.

Chad

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Shocks, longer brakelines, EXTENDED DRIVESHAFT and possible a Slip-yoke eliminator. Those Revolvers REALLY let things drop and require a lot of stuff to make them work- as for the Buggy Leaves how about getting a U-bolt and putting it near where the shackle mounts? JBWeld or Quicksteel it to the frame and have it hang down to trap the spring from moving laterally- and you can bolt a brace on the U-bolt to keep the spring from drooping while on the road as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FYI, I have a friend that has just completed a longer buggy leaf than mine on his wrangler. Because of the shape of the wrangler frame, it doesn't allow for any more travel. Unless you have a flat frame rail don't bother extending the buggy leaf all the way to the bump stops.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info. How long are your buggy leaves?

Tim Springer
1980 CJ7

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My buggy leaves are 17" from eye to end. My friends are about 5" longer. The springs are from a stock front wrangler pack. If you use a deeper arc spring you could get greater travel, but there is a delicate balance between lower spring and buggy spring. If the shackle and buggy spring arrangement aren't just right you could get the shackle kicked back all the way. It happened to me a few times. At rest, the eye of the buggy spring should be 1-2" farther forward of the main spring eye. As the spring drops and the arch gets greater the shackle will become vertical and then pull the buggy down. Hope it all helps. It really is a good cheap alternative to a high dollar custom setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.