Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to be asking again but I don't think there is anywhere with more informed Nissan truck users than here...
I just got a 92 2WD 5sp 4cyl. Realy nice but it is very quick in 1st gear with it's stock 185-14 tires... I have changed to 225-15's on Toy rims for a bit more ground clearance and this makes 1st gear even faster... I guess this is realy a freeway flyer. I'm using it on a cranberry farm where we have some rough roads and mud. Lower gearing in 1st would be helpfull.
Is there some rear end swap that makes sense? I don't want to re-engineer this truck into something it ain't so jacking it up and bolting a Hummer under it isn't what I have in mind... Would the rear end from an older 4 speed have a better ratio for me?
I'm enjoying this forum a lot... Lots of good info and people who are enjoying the ride...
Can you imagine, I actually get PAID to drive in mud!
Regards,
from the Oregon Coast,
Roy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What gear ratio are you running now?

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gifIt's not the Biggest, but at least I use it!/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I know that even in low range 4x4 my 92 pickup is also very quick, it's has to do with not only the rearend but the gearing in the tranny itself. The Nissans are made to get up to highway speed quickly for fuel economy and this has the unpleasant side effect of being "quicker" in the lower gears, even on the 4x4's. Compared to first on the full size domestic rigs the difference is very noticable. Finding out what you have in the rear for gearing is a good first step from there you can change out to a different ratio a gain some lower speed. This is if you can find a third member that is the gearing you would like and has a standard or posi setup you would prefer. If you have to replace the whole rear axle your looking at $$$$.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifStraight outta Oregon, land of trees,ocean breeze, and a lotta mud!/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses...
I don't know what ratio is used in the rear end...
My only point of comparison is my '90 Toy V6 4x4 truck (stock 225-75-15 tires)which has almost the same response in 2nd gear that this little rocket has in 1st...
The Nissan is great and I expect years of use from it but I'd love to tame it down just a bit for use on the farm...

Rain and dirt = Mud... Welcome to the Oregon Coast...
Regards,
Roy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Roy,
You may be able to identify your gear ratio by checking the factory ID sticker on the cab just inside the drivers side door (if it is still there or hasnt been painted over). This sticker gives information about your vehicle such as VIN#, paint code, trim package etc. Should also give Axle Codes. Mine is listed as HG43 which indicates that my vehicle has 4.375 gears. Check and see if you can find an axle code on yours and post it, we should be able to figure out your final drive with this information.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sticker isn't painted over but it might as well be... I've used every type of light I can think of and I can't read the "faded" printing... The printing is all there except the part about my trucks specs...
Can I decode anything from my VIN?
Anyone care to guess about the ratio?
More rain = More mud...
Roy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Roy,
Unless I'm mistaken a 4cy 2WD truck like yours comes with 3.70 gears from the factory. Swaping a 4x4 axle will give you 4.375 and will make a big difference in the low speed drivability of your truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts