Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reworking my old 1975 CJ-5 with a 258. I have a lot of valve train noise at all speeds. It is really bad. This is after a valve job and new cam, timing chain and sprokets. I have good oil pressure.

I decided to check the valve timing ( which checked ok by the book). I noticed that all the rockers are very loose (move them a lot) when the valves are not open EXCEPT for the one pair that I broke and had to replace the rocker bridge on. Those rockers are snug when closed.

Is there a dimension I need to check on the push rods or rocker to determine if there are other parts needing to be replaced......

thanks.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
You almost answered your own question./wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif
The "bridge" is aluminium is are common to wearing out. Does the ol'e 5 sound like a loud sewing machine?/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif The fulcrum (bridge) will wear way faster than the steel rocker. Replace the rest and I'd bet the noise goes away.
Good luck , hope this helps.

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
sounds like your lifters may not be pumping up. did you replace them ?
did you torque down the bolts for the rockers evenly ? or another possibility is that the bridges are suppose to be loosened and tightened down evenly one turn at a time while or they will bend or distort .
Depending on what you did or did not replace it may be a combination of all above and just plain wear.
check to see if the bridges are seated in the pivots right ,I bent two of mine on my rebuilt engine while lifting it with the hoist.

Learn to let go of what does not serve you ,but forces you to serve it

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I today replaced the remaining valve rocker pivots.....

WOW what a difference. Like a different engine. Thanks for everyones help.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gifGlad to help. "been there , done that./wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

I knew everything when I was 16......How come I'm so stupid now?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts