Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About ready to bite the bullet and rebuild my 84 CJ7 258 engine. Been suffering with low oil pressure for a couple of years. (Drops down to 0 psi at idle). Added the high volume pump but that just means that I have higher pressure to start with. My plan is to pull it down and rebuild as required. Definitely cam bearing, rods and mains. Am considering the Crane cam. I have the Mopar MPI on it now and plan on the 4.0 head. One of my questions is: Can you use a rebuilt 4.0? My concern is, what if the head was surfaced. Is the probability of raising the compression going to result in pinging? (A definite problem if you rebuild a 258 head with the MPI). Does anyone have a good source of new heads? Hesco gets about $1100. Too much.
Would appreciate any help/comments from anyone familiar with the swap.

· Registered
1,165 Posts
I bought a new head with all new valves, springs, and keepers for about $500 from ProTech in Denver. Sorry, I don't have their number anymore. Great investment with the MPI. I also went with a MOPAR cam with slightly more lift and same duration as stock, and have been very satisfied. (Also from Pro Tech.)

Enjoying Montana's Big Sky (& rocks & rivers & mountians etc, You get the picture.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This might be the number you're looking for.

Protech Performance Parts. (303) 289-4650
800 E 73 Av
COMMERCE CITY CO 80022-3922

They have many divisions but I beleive that is a main number. Let me know I am in Denver once a week if I can help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks both for the reply. I had forgotten about Protech. I had bought my Mopar MPI from them (Mike). I think Mike has a small outfit but he is great. Hard to run down at times. I'll be giving him a call. Again Thanks...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.