Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a 1980 258 inline 6 with a new radiator, water pump, and thermostat installed. New coolant as well. It's getting so hot the paint is peeling off the header -- anyone have any suggestions? Not sure what's causing it, as everything has been replaced; I'm out of ideas!
Thanks for any input,

Jed
80 CJ7 258w/TR,Holley carb,5" lift,33x12.5's.

·
Registered
543 Posts
did you replace the hoses as well. i've seen the bottom hose get so soft that it will squash down flat when you're on the gas. looks normal at idle. how about timing? paint usually does peel off the header. they get pretty warm. do you have a temp gauge to know how hot its actually running at?

J ust
E mpty
E very
P ocket

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How about your fan clutch. After warming up the engine, you should not be able to just spin the fan, if you can the clutch is shot. Also, this might be a dumb question, but did you check your coolant level after changing in. Air lock is common when refilling, then when it cools off the air bleeds out and the coolant level is WAY down.

Brad
ORC Land Use Section Editor
http://www.off-road.com/land
Vice-Pres. Rock Garden 4 Wheelers, Farmington, NM
http://rockgarden.rockcrawler.com

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What do your gadges show. Do you have any aftermarket gadges. Any other over heating simptoms pinging, desieling. If all you are going off is the paint on hte headers I would tend to tink you have no problem. Headers get very hot.

bandhmo

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
How about the fan shroud? Are you running one? Is it in good shape? My quickey homemade one worked but not very well. I got a new one from the dealer and it fixed my overheating problems. Don't let them BS you, they still make them for CJs, about $75.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.