Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an earlier post on upgrading the motorcraft distributor TeamRush wrote:

*1977 And Older 258 CID I-6 With The Delco Breaker Points Style Distributor.
You have three choices,
1. Up Grade to the Motorcraft distributor & duraspark ignition module, and add the upgrades described above for the Motorcraft distributor.
2. Use an electronic ignition conversion kit for the Delco distributor, and use the duraspark or MSD ignition modules, but you will have to go to the aftermarket for adequate distributor caps & rotors.
3. Use a MSD ignition module that will work with breaker points. You will still have to go the aftermarket for adequate distributor caps & rotors.

With specific regards to #1 above. I'm running a stock 258 I6, 1974 model. Has points. I'm going to follow your post here and upgrade my ignition, why not, sounds fun, practical and I like the sound of it.

Question is: What type of distributor do I need to get to do this swap? Someone mentioned you could get a Mopar Performance Distributor for about $100.00 at the dealership. I'd be looking for that distributor for a 78 or newer 258 I6. That'll bolt right into my 74 258 i6, right? OK.. alternately I could get to the salvage yard, hit autozone or whatever discount store and ask for the dist. from a 78 or newer Jeep 258 I6. Correct?

Same story for the ignition module?

Also, how does this conversion affect the timing of the engine? Everything stay the same as it says in my Haynes and Chilton's manuals? Tune ups will go by the book or am I looking at some differences here?

Thanks in advance.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5
If a Jeep can't take you there, Think twice about going..

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
I didn't list any years for the distributor change out did I?
Try a 258 Jeep from 82 for the distributor if you go to the dealership to get one, There was a slight change in housing design in mid-81, and the 82 will have the update.
If you get one from Auto Jerks, you will get what they give you...
Don't use that part number. That's for a V-8 if I'm correct....

Call the dealer ship and ask for the part number and price so you have a guideline to go by.
There is always the salvage yards for used stuff...

Compair the bottom halves of the distributors very closely before install. Check the gear and oil pump drive in particular.

Ignition module is any Dura Spark box, 78 or newer, with a blue grommet.
The grommet is the plastic thing that connects the wires to the case.

You will need to check out the parts lists for the V-8 article for the correct wiring harness connectors to make your wiring harness.
All the wiring harness connectors are the same for V-8 or I-6. So are the coils, can or TFI, and modules.

This help?

Later, and good luck. Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect, now I can start hunting parts! Sounds like a fun project, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again Aaron for your help. You ever get down in the Tampa area and beers and steak are on me. I take real good care of my mechanic, he just doesn't know all that much about Jeeps.

Take care.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Perfect, now I can start hunting parts! Sounds like a fun project, I'm looking forward to it.

Thanks again Aaron for your help. You ever get down in the Tampa area and beers and steak are on me. I take real good care of my mechanic, he just doesn't know all that much about Jeeps.

Take care.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wait, Aaron, I almost forgot...

Timing.. will this upgrade affect the timing in my 74 and how so? See the last part of the first post here.

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5

·
Registered
6,784 Posts
Book timing is a baseline thing that has a lot of variables.
Keep the timing the same, or you can be brave, and bump it up three or four degrees at a time until the jeep starts to spark knock, then back the timing down two degrees at a time until it stops knocking. If you get gas from more than one place, back it down two more degrees, and lock it down.
You want to run as much timing as you can with out spark knock or detonation.
The more timing, the more power and economy.
Detonation kills, and will probably show up at part throttle under load, so keep the radio turned down while you are tuning!

Remind your mechanic to get a late model service manual, and install the new distributor in the same orientation as the 82 jeep.
All of your ignition specs will be the same as the later model.
Stay with plugs for your year model. You can go up or down in heat range if you want to.

If anything else comes to mind, just ask, one of us can probably help you...

Later, Aaron...

About dinner...
Don't offer if you don't mean it! I get to Clearwater on a regular basis! And I love Crabby Bills!
Red lobster just isn't the same after living in the Keys...
I do so miss Stone crab claws and Smoked fish spread from Crabby Bill's....
Later dude, Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TeamRush wrote:About dinner...
Don't offer if you don't mean it! I get to Clearwater on a regular basis! And I love Crabby Bills!
Red lobster just isn't the same after living in the Keys...
I do so miss Stone crab claws and Smoked fish spread from Crabby Bill's....
Later dude, Aaron.

------
Drop me any email offline, [email protected].

Next time you get into Clearwater, it's on me, no kidding. I won't even write it off as a business expense!

MMM.. Crabby Bills... mm mm mm.. they're opening a Crabby TOMS across the street from my office, have to try that out.

The Keys are my old stomping grounds also, we'll have to get together sometime and swap stories.

Cya
Carl

Carl, Tampa, FL, 74 CJ-5

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.