Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone recommend an air intake that will fit my AMC 258 i6? I'm looking to add some performance parts to the engine. Or should i go with a new carb first? I appreciate your time if you respond. I'm new here and looking for advice.
Thanks,
Tom

· Registered
11,452 Posts
Welcome to the board!

What year and model Jeep is it in? My '78 came with cold air intake - a flexible hose from behind the headlight. The problem with that is that it can suck water if you nose into a deep puddle, so I moved the intake to the firewall over the battery where it draws air from in front of the glove box.

A should also add that you're beating a dead horse to get power from a 258. They're not designed for high RPM and don't much like it. But that's your business. :D

· Registered
1,497 Posts
Like Jim said....we need to know what year.

Assuming you have an 86 or older CJ....(I have an 84)...the two mods I did that made the most difference....

1. Fixing all the vacuum leaks.

2. New plug wires with the HEI style dist cap. Or, you can just install the HEI dist.

I built up 2 new engines....I tried cams...head mods.....etc....to be honest....couldn't tell the difference....

Jeeps spend most of their time with the RPM's below 2000....headers and the like are a waste of time and money.

If you really want more power....a swap to a newer engine would be better.

Click on the link in my signature to see my SBC swap.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.