Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at my 81 CJ 258 which has a Motorcraft distributor and I'd like to try the upgrade common to this board. Am I right to say that I must remove the components from the distributor base and install them on the larger base with the Mr Gasket springs. Or do I need the centrifugal advance stuff from a donor?
Thank you so much for all your interesting information.
Larry

G

·
All that you need to replace is the cap, rotor, wires, and if you want to, the coil. The "base" that you speak of is actually a part of the cap. Ford uses a two-piece cap which consists of the "base" and the actual "cap" where the contacts are. Once you have this base, you never have to purchase it again. Tune-ups will only require the upper part. What you do is remove the cap, rotor, and wires from the distributor "body" (the metal part) and replace them with the Ford parts. As far as the springs go, they are optional. In order to put them in, the distributor does have to be removed and partially disassembled. I would bet that most people performing this upgrade are staying away from this step. That's the beauty of this upgrade. There is no mechanical knowledge required beyond that which anyone doing a tuneup would need. There are a number of posts which give the part numbers and description of what to look for. Unfortunately, I don't know the exact titles of them, so you need to do a little searching. TeamRush has answered this question many times, so it shouldn't be hard to find. Good luck with the upgrade. You'll be happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool [smile/] Thanks Snowtow. I guess I suolld have looked at the new part to better understand what I am to replace. I need to replace most of these parts...heck all othese parts. What a time to upgrade. I've been happy with my ignition but you know jeepers ; always looking for an easy upgrade. Thank you and again thanks Teamrush
Larry

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
Snowtow is correct as usual.
All you need to change are the cap base, cap, rotor and plug wires.
You have to change those four items at once.
The cap base you are looking for is the one from an 81 or 82 ford 300 cid I-6, that screws down instead of uses clips.
It will have clips for the cap. It was a mid year changeover for Ford, so some of the discount auto stores will have them as 81 and some 82.
The Cap, rotor and plug wires all for the same year 300 cid I-6. They used that cap for several years.
If you want to go to the TFI coil, it is for sure worth the money.
It is a direct replacement for your can type coil. You will need a new harness connector.

Good luck! Aaron.

If Chris Columbus "Discovered" America (with 25 million already here), Can I Go "Discover" Florida?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.