Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I started looking at the engine on the '76 CJ-7 that I bought.. It has a 258, TH400, and Quadratrac. The VIN indicates that the engine is a 258 but I gues it could be a 232 - can anyone identify it?

On the driver's side of the engine is cast "322 4098" and also "E 8 1 7" , on the passenger side is "909 20"

I am thinking about turning this Jeep into a daily driver / light trail vehicle so I want to make sure the engine is good to run for many more miles. I did a dry compression test and got around 115 psi on all of the cylinders, except for #1 was 90 psi, but after adding some oil it went up to 120.

The odometer said 44,000 but that could be 140k or 240k, etc. I haven't gotten the engine fired up yet, but does anyone have any tips for assessing the condition of it before I go through the trouble of cleaning it up, new ignition and fuel systems, etc?

Also, looking for some input on rebuilt engines. Quadratec lists ATK rebuilt 258's for around $1500 including shipping, and Collins Brothers in Texas estimates $1000, plus shipping I assume. I don't have the patience to try to rebiult an engine myself.

Any input about this 258 would be appreciated. I'm leaning towards a rebuild since at least the ring in cylinder 1 is bad..
thanks!

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff

G

·
Well.. if your going to go the way of making this jeep a daily driver.. why dont you clean it up.. get the engine rebuilt and put on some Fuel Injection? Wouldn't be a bad idea.. as far as assessing the current condition? I would do a TR ignition upgrade first..use some synthetic fluids and such.. and get the thing ready to go? Whats the condition of the body? The Tranny and Transfer Case?

78 CJ7 "Issues"

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tub is fixable.. I've got it on sawhorses in the carport, getting ready to start cutting and welding away

Anyone have advice or ideas about this engine? How do I identify 232 vs 258?
thanks

Mark
83 CJ-7 and 76 CJ-7 with stuff

·
Registered
439 Posts
I bought a 76 cj-7 too a couple years back it was set up for the quadtrack,but had a blown T-18 4:1 in it, I would have liked to play with the quadtrack. Mine was a 258 I could check the number again and let you know. to check condition, check your oil, dirt and grit in it would indicate wear. coolent, all the fuilds, and I mean all of them! check gear oil and tranny and t-case fuilds, you probally don't know what it's been though or if the other owner kept up on all the fluids, you don't want to get it on the road and have the rear or trany give out! I took my rearend covers of and they were close to dry, Lucky I didn't drive it yet! Take off the valve cover and see if there's any slug build up. that's just basic stuff you can do.
Chad

84 & 76 CJ-7's Give me a striaght six cummins diesel anyday. [email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts