Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an '82 CJ5 with the 258 and stock carb. Gas mileage is terrible (13 or less). I understand the carb on this is junk and am looking for ideas on a replacement. Holley, Weber, etc. A jeep mech. said that Rochester made one that would bolt right up and run's great, but he didn't know what kind. B. Gates ain't my uncle, so FI is out. Any hints?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but a friend just finished swapping a GM TBI system onto his 258. It cost him less than a new Weber carb. I think he got the unit from an Astro van. The original cost was $200 CND from the wrecker. He probably spent less than $200 more for an electric fuel pump and a few other odds and ends. I've been bugging him for a write-up, but he hasn't gotten around to it. Try a search on GM TBI fuel injection (add Jeep and/or 258 in the search if necessary). Good luck!

jo-jo
'77 CJ5 Fozzy Locker
20 degree RTI 1250

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Personally, I feel you can get the Carter to perform well, mine does but the learning curve is long, and you have to mess with them once a year or so. I know I'll get some crap for saying that, but when running well they produce a good power range. The only problem I can't get a handle on is the flooding at steep angles, and pucker wise that can be a real problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The GM TBI sounds like a great idea. If this wasn't my daily driver and if my real life didn't keep getting in the way of my Jeep life, I'd do it. I'll have to at least look into it more. Tell your friend to write it up, I'm sure I'm not the only one interested.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pep talk. I owned an AMC hornet several years back and had 3 (count them - 3) engine fires in one day. All because of the Carter carb. (as near as I could tell). The only thing that saved the car was a monster snow storm that day - lots of available fire-retardent laying around. So, my views about them are a tad biased.

Glad to hear you conquered yours though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can check out the write up on my page http://www.neca.com/~crossrds/. I didn't have the time or patience to settle out the chip programming so I took it off/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif. I decided to put the BBD back on for now (never had a problem with it /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif) and think about other alternatives next year. For now I need it to plow the driveway and comute in bad weather.

~|_____
__|____|__
/-/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif||||/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif-\
(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)-o--(/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif)

Randy 80 CJ5

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hiya, your mechanic is right. i run a two barrel rodchester off a 1971 307 2wd chevy cheyenne truck. it works great, use #50 jets. your mechanic will know. if any questions email me directly, ****

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am very please with my Weber 32/36. Silky smooth idle, good power, no flooding on steep angles, 17 MPG. I installed mine in about two hours. It is very important to install a fuel pressure regulator at the same time set at 2.5 psi. I believe the stock fuel pump puts out about 5 psi and if you don't regulate it you will get some bogging when the secondary opens.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
I have the weber, and it's been great for over 2 years. The first day with mine was incredible - I had a jeep that ran well! The jeep idled, didn't die at every stop sign, started up, didn't cough.... I was really very impressed. 2 years later, it still runs awesome. Passes the sniffer in Massachusetts for an 88 vehicle too. The only time mine has stumbled off-road was when I was climbing out of a washout at a very steep angle, and if it had stayed running she probably would have gone over backwards. As it was we had 3 guys hanging off the front bumper tugging on a tow strap to keep her from going over as I inched up the incline. For all of the problems I've heard about with the Mopar MPI, pinging, etc., and many different attempts to get the howell chips correct, I'll keep my nice simple carb. It's not a money issue.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ, 4"susp, 33"BFGMT, 9k#winch, rear homemade swingout, reb.258, 999, 4.10, weber32/36, GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get the Weber 32/36. Simple, easy, smooth.
Perfect.

Enough said.

CJ8George
o[[[[o
85 CJ8,258,Weber32/36,4" BDS lift,4.10,35"tires,f/r lockers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The nut votes for the weber also, they're everything that everyone else says they are and you'll love the sound when you open the secondary. What I need to know is where do you buy the fuel pressure regulator? I can't seem to find one that goes as low as 2 1/2 psi. thanks CTjeepnut

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my pref. is an offy manifold with a two bbl motorcraft. better breathing, reliable, and sooooo easy to work on.

dan
build 'em don't buy 'em
why is there no mazda thread?
I feel left out.:p

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought my pressure regulator at my local NAPA store for around $25. It does go as low as 2.5 psi.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
webbers cost over $300/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif, but I haven't heard anything bad about them. It might be cheaper to try and find that rodchester, as you can usually get a used carb for about $50 with another $50-80 to get it rebuilt/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif.

80 CJ-7 Laredo 304v8 TF999 3.73's BFG M/T's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
One important point that some have missed. If the jeep is in a emissions testing state, the vehicle will fail the visual inspection. No dobt the webber works well, but I have found that the Carter can be made to work as well as the Webber. One point is the air cleaner. The stock air cleaner is very restrictive...put an aftermarket one on there and the upper end improves. Right now I have my Carter running just fine. Most of the problems have been dirt and items external to it. There are several guys who have replace the carb to only find out that their problem was actually something else. Make sure you look at the big picture.

John......southern CA
84CJ7,3"lift,32"BFG,4.11's,ARB,Solid Axle's

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i have the same in my 87 wrangler and i too have been trying to decide what to do. i have come up with this........the carter is the best solution with the ignition upgrade.....weber, motorcraft and holly will give the same gas millage and will not pass inspection...at least not in houston texas. myself, i decided to wait and buy a mopar fi, or find a 92-95 jeep to swap parts out of. and since the past couple of weeks my engin is blowing oil out of every hole, maybe swap the whole damn engin itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Here in CT there is no visual check, Yet. Do they actually hire qualified people , with the knowledge of entire emmission sytems of all the different makes of vehicles, for all the years that emissions were enacted? probably since 1968?
I agree that if you live in a visual check state,and your only option is a bbd, yes, you can make it run good. That is if the throttle shaft isn't worn out,and if all the sensors, electric relays, vacuum relays, solenoids , vacuum lines, wiring , and who cares what else, is in working order. I know that a non computerized bbd is much simpler, and can be made to run fine, but it wouldn't pass a visual on an 82 or later vehicle, if some Ralph Nader type dude was doing the test. My point is that most old bbd's have worn out throttle shafts, and that most old jeeps emissions systems are not in working order. THEY DON"T WANT YOUR OLD VEHICLES ON THE ROAD!! If I lived in a visual check state , and I had a computerized BBD, I would try to diguise my Weber, or go with MPI. Because in the end you could end up spending way more than you think trying to get your vehicle to pass a visual and a sniff test, and still have a vehicle that doesn't run good . CTjeepnut

1 - 20 of 24 Posts