Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a week I am getting my 258 rebuilt, and the 4.0L head conversion done. I already have Borla exhaust (4.0L header on the way too), and the Mopar MPI kit. The question is about engine components for the rebuild. The MPI kit came with a warning not to make any significant cam modifications etc.,. I assume this warning has to do with the chip. Does anybody know what I can get away with without trashing the emissions qualifications, or seeing negative effects on the injection side (is there a chip upgrade that would compensate)? On the same note, is there anybody out there that sells upgraded parts for the 258 rebuild, such as forged pistons, yada yada yada? Any advice would be appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Crane Cam PN 260-2 works very well with the MPI kit. In fact, it's almost identical in profile to the cam that Hesco sells for use with the MPI kit, but Crane's version is considerably less expensive when purchased from Summit Racing or Jegs. I used the cam for several years until I built a new engine. I went with Clifford's 264 deg. "EFI profiled" cam, but unlike the Crane, the idle is a bit rough. There are no chip upgrades for the MPI to my knowledge. As for the forged pistons, there are a number of companies that sell them - Arias for one, but they really aren't necessary unless you plan on racing your Jeep. Badger and Ertel both make excellent quality cast pistons for the 258 which sell for about $125 a set. Forged pistons for the 258 usually run in the $500 - $600 range for a set.

Dean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.