Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy
I recently bought a 79 chevy 3/5 ton 4x4 with a 350. 400 tranny. and 203 transfer case i just had a question as to the positions on the t case i have 4 wheel hi loc which is now 2 wheel hi(part time kit installed), 4 wheel hi, 4 wheel low, and 4 wheel lo loc. my question is what is the difference between the normal 4 wheel, and the 4 wheel loc positions???? thank you for your help.

there is no substitute for cubic inches

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
4 hi is now 2 hi, 4 hi lok is now 4 wd High. Old system had a Viscious?? coupling that allowed the front axle to travel at differnt speed. This allowed the truck to be in 4wd on dry pavement.

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont pretend to know all the chevy combos but are you sure you have a 400 tranny?

"Bubba Tub" 1977 K-10 350,Th350,Np203 D60/14ff 4.56's Detroit Rear. 7" lift, 39.5/16.5 Swamper TSL's.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Frankp, I got a 79' 3/4 ton 350/400 tranny and a 203 t/c also..

Chris /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Kuma, How hard was the part-time unit to install??
That t/c unit is pretty screwy.. If I put my truck in 4 hi and jack up one of the front tires it will turn but none of the others will.. I would like to know exactly how that thing works too!! I thought it was kinda like a limited slip until you put it into lock.. but I'm not really sure..

Chris /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
It's like an open differential when you're not in one of the "loc" positions. This is a huge bonus in the snow. For handling anyhow... /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the part time kit wasnt that hard to put in dont even need to drop the t case. just a matter of pulling off the last spider gears and putting in a spacer....and then installing the new hubs. a few hours if you have the tools. one of your 4 his will become 2 wheel my 4 wheel loc is now my 2 wheel drive.

there is no substitute for cubic inches

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.