Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick of 1/2 ton crap breaking on me and I dont even drive hard. So now Im looking at 3/4 ton rigs just to be able to drive up and down the rockies. I only tow a small boat occasionally. Does the new 3/4 ton tranny last? How many miles can I expect before rebuild? I maintain my vehicles meticulously and I never do any rock crawling. I really hate having to worry about overheating trannys. Ive tried the 5spd in the 2500 and I found it to be more work than I want with my family. Thanks

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
That whould be the 4L80-E tranny, Which is a pretty strong tranny and is pretty much a TH-400 with an overdrive. My dad has one in a 2000 3/4 ton pickup for his landscapeing company so it gets used pretty hard sometimes but it only has 5000 miles on it so it's hard too say how durable it will be.(This is his first truck with this tranny) From the sound of it it whould be just fine for you but since you mentioned driveing in the mountains, I whould put a nice big tranny cooler on it too keep it nice and cool while pulling those big long grades.
Hope this helps.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Guess what? The NVG4500 is no longer available in a chevy Silverado. Only the NVG3500(found in dakotas and S10's) is available. This includes the 2500HD. There is a 6 speed ZF avilable though. And the autos are the allison and the 4L60E. No more 4L80E in the trucks either. Found this in a towing brochure I picked up at the dealer that let me test drive a Duramax powered 2500HD. Can you say BALLS?

88 crewcab w/38's. For sale.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
QUOTE Hmm. I think I must correct my self. The Chevy page reads differently than the brochure. The 4L80 is available. Sorry. QUOTE
Umm Yes the 4L80-E is avalable, And so is the NV 4500! It come's behind the 6.0 engine in the 2500 and 2500HD's.

/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gifYodas Day Off/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.