Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new 2001 Ranger ext. cab 4 door,3.0,5 speed automatic, stepside,off road pkg.,limited slip with 4.10 gears.Now I realize this thing isn't going to get 40 MPG but the truck has 3500 miles on it and I average about 13mpg, 75% highway 25% city without running the a/c. Does this sound normal to you guys? The Ford dealer said thats normal. I just have a hard time believing it.Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks for your response,

Edder

Do you smell that?/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif

·
Registered
6,517 Posts
You should see a little improvement in the next few thousand miles, as it's new still and everything is just breaking in... You could change out all of your fluids to synthetic to pick up at least 1 or 2mpg... Autos do tend to get worse mileage than a manual transmission... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif How high is it revving up on the highway at your usual speed? Tire size? Are they inflated properly? Just a few thoughts... /wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

Tim "Sandman"

ORC Land Use columnist:
My May Column

·
Registered
196 Posts
As the Sandman said, see how it does when it's done breaking in. Ford lists the milage for this engine/tranny at 15-city/19-hwy, but this is probably for the regular cab. A 4-dr will weigh much more, affecting your milage. So will everything SandMan listed.

Pharaoh
Yah baby, That's right! /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The tires are inflated to specs, it has 16" tires, but it just seems odd to get only 12.5 to 13 MPG. I wouldn't complain if I had the power behind it, but I must say that the 3.0 is a sorry excuse for MPG or power.Thanks for the response.......

Edder

·
Registered
649 Posts
Something doesnt sount right. I have an 89 with the 2.9, 5 speed, 3.73s and 31s and I just get 18-20 mpg driving backroads if i go pretty easy. Even if I hammer down I get at least 15. On the highway I get between 19-24mpg depending how fast I go and what the conditions are like.

John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey John,
Keep yours you would not be happy with mine. It's a nice truck but my nephew has a GM 1 ton dually with a big block and gets better mpg than I do. Ford tells me its the norm I just have a hard time believing it. Thanks for the response.

Edder

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
no kidding...on a good day even MY truck with 35s and stock gears will get 13 on the highway. i have a friend that had a 97 2wd ranger with the 4cyl and he only got around 18, so 13 might be pretty close with the 6.

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
13mpg with the 3.0 V6?!? wow, I get 12mpg with my F250HD 460! Something doesn't sound right. Even my 2.9L 4x4 ranger with 33x12.50 BFG's got 15-17 on the TRAIL. (4.10 gears to even out the speedo out too)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i currently own a 2000 ranger trailhead package with the 3.0 v6 and 4.10 rear with a 5 speed trans. i get about 18 MPG around town and 21-23 on the highway, gas improved after i put a shell on my truck and i use it as a daily driver...i am also pretty light on the gas peddle it will suck down the gas if i am stomping it everywhere i go

BONZAII!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah that doesn't sound right. My buddy has a 2000 Ranger 4x4 with the 4.0 and he gets aroung 14-16. I don't know why the Ranger is so bad on gas? We have another friend with a Tacoma who always gets around 21-23.

On another note, everybody please take a moment of silence......My 2000 F-150 w/ 5.4L is now getting 15mpg. The only problem is driving like a feaking old fart. 65mph on cruise control for the freeways (in the slow lane)
and barely pushing the throttle to get her going from a stop lights. I don't know how much longer I can take driving like this? I used to get 270 miles from a tank, now I'm pushing 315
. I just might keep the grandma driving up a little longer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.