Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2\'\' VS 4\'\' Lift on a YJ

I will be lifting my 89 YJ (258 w/ 231 transfer case) with either Skyjacker 2 inch or 4 inch lift kit. Does anybody have experience with 2 vs 4 inch lift? If I go with the 4 inch, will I need the 231 tail shaft eliminator? What about a 2 inch? I would like to run either 32 or 33 inch tires --- would a 2 inch lift do it? Does the 2 inch or 4 inch require a transfer case lowering kit? I am also picking up shocks with the kit --- are Sykjacker shocks any good or am I better off with ProComp shocks?

Many many thanks in advance

Bob

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Re: 2\'\' VS 4\'\' Lift on a YJ

Bob, We just installed a 2" Skyjacker lift in my bosse's '95 YJ this weekend. It rides great, much beter than stock! We put in Skyjacker's "Nitro" shocks also, some say those shocks are a little stiff but they seem alright to us. 4WD Hardware told us that sometimes YJ's will vibrate at highway speeds without a T-case lowering kit so we got it just incase. Without it, the driveline only vibrates a little under hard acceleration above 50 mph, but once settled down to a cruise it doesen't shake at all. We are going to install it anyways (it was only $35 or so). If you go with the 4" I would definately put a Tailshaft eliminator, and T-case lowering kit on, unless you go with a custom CV joint drive shaft. Even with the 2" if you do any serious wheelin'. 32's might clear but I don't think 33's will with a 2". A 4" will clear 33's no problem!

Mike H.
1983 CJ-7 Laredo
1999 Dakota 4x4
/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gifo[[[[o

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Just say no to procrap shocks - too firm.

Cheers
Wooders

·
Registered
1,748 Posts

With the 2", you'll still need a transfer case lowering kit, I think. With the 4" it is just more of a drop. You can keep the slip yoke with either kit. If you go with a slip yoke eliminator and a new drive shaft, you don't have to do the transfer case drop - that is the whole idea, as I understand it. You will need a drop pitman arm in front for the 4", porobably get by without it on the 2". 2" will not clear the 33s, and I would think would be marginal for 32s. My 4" has sagged a bit in the rear, and the 33s are rubbing, even with 1" longer shackles. Of course, it was a pro-comp lift. :| ...bought it about 3 years back before I knew about these types of BBSs. New rear springs are in the works for me.

I would say go for the 4". You can run with the slip yoke until you save enough money for the SYE. If you buy the 2", you'll want the 4" in short time, in my opinion if you want to run 32s or 33s.. The 2" lift, and a 2" body lift, is always an option. This keeps your driveline mods to a minimum, and keeps your center of gravity down a bit too. Some folks don't like body lifts, though.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ,4"susp,33"BFGMTs,9000#winch, hm swing out TC/HL mount ,258,999,4.10,weber32/36,GMHEI.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Okay, here's my opinion on this one. Go with the 2" kit. You should be able to clear 33's with a good 2" lift, a set of shackles that are 1" longer than stock (these will give you approx. 1/2" of lift) with greasable bushings, and a 1" body lift (I prefer Daystar). This will net you right about 4" of lift total, and should clear those 33's, but you may still want to do a little minor fender trimming. The springs on the 2" lifts will give you a much better ride as well as a lot more flex than the 4" ones because of the amount of arch in the spring packs. As far as brand, I've heard good and bad things about skyjacker, but personally, I'd spend the little extra cash on the OME 2 1/2" kit. The springs are awesome and give a ride way better than stock. For shocks, STAY AWAY FROM PROCOMP. Go with a set of Rancho RS9000's or the Nitro Charger shocks that some with the OME system, and you wont be dissappointed. There are some other good shocks out there too though. Anyway, here's what I'm planing for my own rig, just to give you an idea where I'm coming from...
OME 2 1/2" Suspension System
Daystar 1" Body lift/Body Mount Kit
Daystar 1/2" lift (1" longer than stock) shackles with greasable bushings
Daystar Greasable Main Spring Eye Bolt/Bushing Kit
JKS sway bar disconnects
Total - Just over 4" of lift, will clear 33's and should REQUIRE driveshaft mods. I do plan on adding the Slip Yolk Eliminator and CV 'shaft down the line, but of course, only as funds allow. This setup should give me a street ride about as good as a TJ, and an awesome amount of flex and articulation (compared to the stock YJ) off-road. Hope this helps. Happy Jeepin'!

-Spyder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is what I'm running. I have a BDS 2" lift, stock shackles, and no t-case drop. I don't have any vibration worth worrying about, run 31x11.50 on stock 15x7 aluminum rims with a couple of washers to keep the tires off the spring packs. I also have a rear lock rite.
I plan of swithching to swamper radial 32x10.50 once my AT's wear out. I'll be adding a 1" body lift, Currie's 1" motor mount lift to eliminate the slight vibration I have. If I decide to run 32x11.50 I'll add TJ flares and get rock crawler rims with 3.75" off set.
I've taken my Jeep places where I've been told that only bigger Jeeps can go. I've only had one problem that the 33" tires would have kept me from getting stuck (laid Jeep down on spring pack behind front right tire), and a front traction device (locker or LSD) would have kept me moving.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.