Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a project for work and need a 2 part or similar plastic mix to make a mold out of. I am going to need a good bbit of it so Jb weld or similar is out simply due to the quantity I will need. Maybee 1 quart total.

Foam will be to soft, and it is hard to work with where I will be using it (sticks to everything)

Any recomendations??

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
This sounds like a CSI episode.

SweetPea did you kill Tater? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
damn, what a let down.... I thought maybe you were talking about plastique.... the ones that go BOOOOOOM!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

...2 part plastic... one part detinator........

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
There are quite a few two-part mold-making and potting compounds from Dow Corning and GE. Some cure at room temp, some require an oven bake. If you can't find local reps go to dowcorning.com and ge.com.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Check US Composites for potting, casting and mold supplies. I've used them to make molds and castings for flow meters that we used in deep glacial lakes in the Canadian High Arctic.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Since it's for work, can't you just grab some dent stone? It releases pretty well for most things and your evidence guys should have plenty of it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I assume since you said plastic it has to be plastic, but the first thing that came to mind for me was plaster....are you using a piece you already have to make the mold? If so look around locally to see if there is a shop that performs vacuum molding, you just take the piece in and the will vaccum mold around it with plastic and then you have a mold. If you don't have the piece to work with that won't help you unless you make a sample out of wood or something first to take with you, well anyway I'm ramblin now

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was concerned with the wetnes of dent stone when casting. It will need to disipate some heat, and I thought I copuld run a few aluminum struts through the plastic to acomplish that.

Basicly the mold will be used to hold a camera system. it needs to be solid enough to hold it securly. I Made a small one for a smaller set up out of Jbweld last year and just wraped the camera in plastic wrap and set it down in the jbweld where I wanted it until it set up, knocked it off and then it worked fine less taking the paint off in a few spots.

This project require a clamshell type mount, and the equiptment I am working with cost about 2000 bucks, so I have to be carefull with it.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Just curious what type of camera mount you are trying to make? Is it for a dash mount style camera, or something different? Reason I ask is that I'm in the security industry and have access to many mfg. of camera equipment, mounts, housings, digital recorders, etc. Don't know if any of the commercial stuff I have access to would be useful to, but if I can help, I will look into it for you and see what I can find????

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Ya Jeff, get the digital camera out!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
344 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
SweetPea did you kill Tater?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but i did think about putting him in the oven on 450 for about an hour! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SweetPea did you kill Tater?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but i did think about putting him in the oven on 450 for about an hour! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not a new Tater... and likely a bit weathered with too many eyes growing (please don't tell me what's growing in his ears).

Would take way too much butter and sour cream for the effort.

Sorry Jeff... but it puts you back to the top.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/chairfall.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/40BEER.gif
Dale

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Forgot to mention I have to be able to grind or machine it.

Sent you a PM Kerry

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can't take an pix Thor,, that would give away the secret!!!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like the stuff used for reproduction antlers may work for you... take a look at this page

Smooth-on

Good luck... let us know what ou come up with.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts