Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have gotten a couple of turns from two of the 11 body mounts on my cj without using a cheater bar, just a 1/2" driver. I have already gone through 3/4 of a can of PB blaster and plan on spraying them again tonight. Hopefully I can get good luck with the remaing ones and keep the breakage down to a mininum.

all of the frame mounts look good, but a couple of the body points are breaking down. I remember hearing that some people add some plates to the area to give some support.
what size plate steel should I think about getting?
surveyboy

http://www.csupomona.edu/~sdmiller1/jeep.htm

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Try not to use metal much heavier than the original. A bit heavier is ok, but too heavy and it's difficult to weld to the thinner base metal. It's hard enough working upside down to begin with. Try to use the largest plate you can for the area, to help spread out the force. I had to make 1" holes with plugs in the floor pan to tighten the nuts in that area as it was rusted out and the cages nuts spun. I used nylock nuts so I don't have to overtighten them. Locktite would be good as well.

If you are going to bolt on the reinforcing plate, maybe use galvanized?

By the way, the forward most body mounts just behind the front fenders, I used sheet metal with a lip bend into it, and put the lip up the firewall and welded it there as well.

Tim

84 CJ7, 258, HEI, M/C 2100 carb, 5 inch lift, RS9000's, 33x12.5 BFG M/T's, 4.56's and Detroit softlocker, full cage & belts, Xenon flares, Dana 44 rear, GM dual diaphragm brake booster

G

·
I just finished my body lift today. Both channels welded to the body right behind the seats were shot. I formed new channels from 16 ga and it seems plenty strong. My mounts were is terrible shape, what a difference it made in the ride.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts
Normal body metal is 18 gauge, and I used 14 gauge (thicker) for my floor pans as it's the thickest stuff I could cut reasonably with a pair of hand shears (I still broke 2 of them, but they were warranteed). The 14 Ga will weld OK to the 18 Ga.

JEEPN
Waldoboro, Maine (yes, we're BACK!)
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled, It's a Jeep, Chevy, IHC kinda thing!
'88.5 Slamurai, 7" Lift, Locked, Swamped, Rolled, and just generally broken in right!

·
Registered
6,394 Posts
/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif A while back a gruesome photo of a rolled CJ was posted on this BBS, and the salient visual point that the photo made;..... one that has NEVER left my mind;.... was that the body/frame mounts on old, rusty CJs can fail and subsequently cause the release of the entire tub and roll bar setup. That unerved me so much that in the process of re-doing the frame-to-tub mounts, we re-did the middle mounts in the CJ such that we have a "Sill" that crosses the body where the step in the floor is, and THAT "sill" sits on our new, beefier frame mounts, and the roll bar now has something substantial to bolt up to../wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif

CJDave
A moonguy-operated Jeep Skunkworks in the "Heartland".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts