Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I am looking at 2 jeeps. The first is a 1990 with a blown 2.5l engine and the second is a 1993 with the 4.0l. It has a rotted frame but the engine and drive train is good. Will I have what I need to do the swap with the 2 jeeps? I have replaced motors in the past and I own a motor hoist.

Bill

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I really don't know where to start, it is not as simple as one would think, Unless some pretty unique circimstances came up I would go 4.3 or similar, but I am not in your shoes.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I agree, Jeff, unless he can get both for cheap then do a complete swap of drivetrain and all wiring. Basically put a new frame under the basket case jeep.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
It sounds to me like you are looking to get both Jeeps, and then basically make one good one from two broken ones.

Is it possiblie, yup for sure, it is a lot of work, It is kind of like baking one of those 30K doller wedding cakes you see on TV. Anyone could gather the ingredients, but not just anyone could put a cake like that together..
You can get the two jeeps, but it will take skill, understaning and time to put One together... But it will also be very fun, and a great learning experence.

If you are looking for a project Jeep, I would say you are on the right track.

If you want a Jeep NOW, I would take the money you are going to spend on 2 jeeps, and put it together, and get 1 that runs, then, you can build it up as you go.

Let us know what your intentions are for this?

(I wish I had some cake)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. Right now I could get bothe jeeps for $2100 asking price. The 4.0l has 107k miles. They are both the same color. I know I could do it but I doubt I have the time. I'm sure that there I things I'm going to run into that I haven't thought about. When I rebuilt the last one my wife wasn't happy. Having 2 jeeps in the yard sitting there isn't too appealing either. Here are some pics of the 2.

Attachments

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swaping a 4.0 in place of a 2.5 is about on par with doing an SBC swap. You have to change almost everything.

The bodies look good....but I would say walk away from it. There are better deals to be had.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts