Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Presently I have a 90 2.5 wrangler. I have heard of some people taking the restrictors(?) out and putting a K&N filter in for improved performance and economy. I am new to wranglers so I was wondering if anybody knows what is involved with removing them. Would it be worth it to do that without getting a K&N? Would it be worth it at all? Any other suggestions? Just trying to look for "cheap" improvements, if there is such a thing!
Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
they do have a restrictor right as the tube from the throttle body enters the airbox. i took mine out. I didnt notice anything different so i just left it out. I read somewhere that jeep had the cherokee motors rated at 190 and the wrangler rated at 180 (for 4.0L) and that the only difference was the restrictor. Something about getting power to weight ratio down in the wrangler i guess. this is just what i heard, if anyone knows any truth to this or has heard the same thing i would also like to hear it. Thanks.

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i

·
Registered
370 Posts
If I remember correctly, my 95 had two restirctors, one into and one out of the air box. Installed a K&N and a Borla cat-back and it runs great,

jerry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wonder if mine have been removed allready. There is nothing between the TBI and the air cleaner but the uninhibited flex hose. As of before the air cleaner, all I seem to have is a free flowing access to the grill accept for a heat valve, which seems to be open anyway.
Thanks again!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The restrictor is inside the aribox lid inside the tube that the flex tube clamps onto. Heat valve??? I wan't aware any 2.5Ls had a heat valve.

Nick Hagen
1995 Wrangler
33" Mud Tires and a Chevy TBI 350

1 - 5 of 5 Posts