Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '74 cj-5 and am fixin to put a lift on. I was definately going to put a 4 inch on till I saw my bro-in-law's. It sure looks high on a cj-5. .Can anyone out please give me the pros and cons of each. I'm still leaning towards the 4 inch (can't be outdone by an in-law) but can be persuaded if the 2.5 is safer and more stable, which would mean better off road (wouldn't mind pulling his back over on it's wheels).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
4" is really too much for a CJ5 in my opinion (really goofs up the rear driveshaft angle). If you need additional room for tires with a 2.5" lift, I'd pick the body up a bit, or hack the sheetmetal back. I had a 2.5" lift on MY '74 CJ5 & was quite pleased with it.

TEX

/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with Tex. That extra inch and a half is really going to make it ride rough as well as make some ugly rear driveline angles. What size tire do you want to put on it? Thirty-three's will fit with 2.5" of suspension and an inch of body lift.

· Registered
82 Posts
I currently have 33s and without a lift. They do not rub unless i get into some bad stuff (and still not bad). I'm going to Clayton OK this weekend and Im sure they will get the rubber rubbed off of them. Is a 2.5 inch lift okay to do heavy off-road events with maybe a body lift. I would rather go with a 2.5, just dont want to end up having to buy a 4 if i decide one day to go with 35s. Are 33s good enough for the tough stuff?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dude do the 2.5 go w/ a1 inch bod lift and your safe and set..I have my 77 cj-5 set up like that and it wirks fine is safe I can do 125 miles an hour w/my hair on fire while drinking a Jack n Coke and not spill a dropppp why worry bout the jones..?? be your own man.. be a man among men.. mud hard or go home fly on free bird semper fi bro taco ed..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been checking the pros and cons of each also. I noticed that with 2.5 no other modifications are nessary {not saying that you shouldn't}. With a 4 inch lift the brake lines have to be replaced, the pitman arm has to be replaced, the drive line will need to be corrected with either tranfer case drop or driveline shims or both. Emergency brake lines may have to be remounted. Bump stops will need to be remounted. Shock will have to be replaced. I belive the 2.5 makes the best chose. I only have 31's on mine now with trail tires and have done some extreme wheeling and never really got stuck, driving in a lake dosen't count or I dont think so.

79 CJ5 258 firecracker red

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looks like you already have your mind made up, but I'd tell ya to get the brake extensions with any lift, and depending on your setup, you might want the pitman arm also... My cj-5 has a 4" lift, and I can't say its a cadilac on road, but it certanly isn't a Ford F-1 /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif I got springs, u-bolts, brake extentions and pitman arm from superlift for under $500. The rear springs already had shims, and I haven't noticed any driveline problems, even up to 90mph (checked by gps /wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif) You'll probably be better off with 2.5" and a 1" body, but I'll be the first to tell you that the 4" hasn't caused any severe loss in stability. I've been in a few panic situations (freakin old ppl who can't see over their knuckles...) and I've been scared, and even terrified that I was going to roll, but it turns out I didn't even lift a tire. its all a personal pref however.

Florida Mud CJ-5
'77 RB304, t-150 D20 4" 35" swampers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
CJ-junkie:
If your locked front and rear I suspect you'll be able to do most of the stuff at Clayton (depending on the rain). Before you buy any lift wait until this weekend and check out what everyone else is running and what you like best. You'll see CJ5s with no lift, 2.5", 4", spring overs, 29"- 35" tires, stock axles to Ford 9s and Dana60s. You'll also get a chance to see if the 33s are what you want to stick with or if 35s are in your future. If your like me, bring spare parts!! I'll be there (white CJ7/4"/33s/locked) and so will Todd (Darrell) I just don't know if he's bringing his jeep "Darrell" up too (bright yellow CJ5/blk rockers/33s/locked). See ya Saturday.

Shain

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.