Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!
What a weekend!
Went on our first run this Saturday with the Frontier 4x4 Club out of Helena.
I'm stoked!
The wife and I had SO much fun.
Wow! It's So much better to go with a group, than try and find some place to run on your own.
(Especially when they know where they're going!)

(Sheesh. 91 new posts/threads since I last checked on Friday.
What's been going on around here this weekend?
Wish I had time to check them out right now.)

Gotta get something to eat, so here goes.
We did a run about 40 miles from here. Leadville, MT.
Old mining area stuck in the woods around the 7,500' mark.
Averaged about 1mph from the trail head.

Rocks. Major rocks.
Creek crossings, roots, trees-"mirror biters", IOW, tight.

Truck did awesome. And so might I add did the "green" driver and spotter.
(as Doug pats himself on the back and does his best Tim Taylor impression....Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrggggggh!)

Except, about 200 yards from our destination.
Rock BIG ROCK, and Stump, BIG STUMP.
Oh, how I wished at that moment my truck was 6" narrower.
Here's the damage:

However, after not really feeling that bad about it....(Like I said, we were having so much fun!)
Here's the fix at around 10:00 today....the day after:

Hmmmm, sure bent back awfully easy.
However, that was quite the hit it took to damage it that much.

So, the project this week for The Rev is gonna be to rocker guards (rock sliders, again from TheJuice's page) modification for needed protection in that area.
Didn't hit it, but I know it was awful close quite a few times.

More to come when I get my pics back, and the club web-master gets our adventures posted on the club web-site.
See ya.
Doug

G

·
Oh come on! Don't get bummed over a little body damage! It adds characteristic! No trail truck is complete with a few dents and scrapes... and a few panels missing...
However I do like your fix though! And that pipe/tube didn't make an indent in the bumper? Wow, I'm impressed! I would have backed up too far and have the thing go THROUGH the bumper, then hit the wall, then go through the wall and out the other side of the building... Ahhhh... the adventures of me!

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Hey WD, way to go man. Like you say, there is nothing funner than going with a group or club. The hard part is finding a group with the right 'wheelin style. Sounds like you found that. I look forward to trail pics!!!

Now you know why you have to either "juice-I-fy" the rear bumper or go get a very heavy guage one. Also why I refer to the stock rear bumpers as anchors. I would not fret over the damage. Looks to me like it really was all the bumper. The tailpipe, that is fixed by pulling out the bent end a bit, or hacksaw. And the body, well, no one will even see that. How did you like the MTR's on this trail? what other vehicles were in your group? How did the carb test out????

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damage

Don't get bummed over a little body damage! It adds characteristic!
Yeah, that's what I'm seeing on the other rigs we were with.
Looks like "Jeep Tape" (diamond plate) is a good way to cover things up.

And that pipe/tube didn't make an indent in the bumper?
Actually, that's a chunk off of one of our new fence posts.
Pretty soft.
I look forward to trail pics!!! what other vehicles were in your group?
Well, just take a walk over to edit: That'd be <a target="_blank" href=http://tellico.off-road.com/ubbthreads/showprofile.php?Cat=&User=tsm1mt&Number=871681&Board=offroadfordbroncolate&what=showflat&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=1&vc=1>tsm1mt from below
[/i]</font color=green> taking most of the pictures was the Scout owner. Judging by his license plate,

is probably why we don't see many pics of the '79 Bronco that was there.
However, I took several.

Be in a couple days.
Very nice rig. Got a good shot of the front bumper/winch mount/hi-lift holder/shovel holder.

He's also got a nice rear bumper/air tank.

And, a full cage in the back.

In that gallery, is where you'll see the area where I hammered the bumper.
Lots of pics taken there.
Too bad the guy in the F-100 with his "batterring ram" didn't go through first.

He knocked 1/2 the stump out of the way.
Everybody behind him was able to squeeze through instead of having to go up and slide down/over like I did.
How did you like the MTR's on this trail?
Ah! Awesome! Man, am I glad I didn't go with AT's!
Ran at 23psi. I hardly ever even spun em. Sidewalls held up REAL well.
It was like I said....."Rocky, REAL ROCKY".

Only tire damage was on the '79 Bronco. 36" Super Swampers-Bias Ply, so whatever those would be.
Chunked a couple lugs off, so he cut em so they wouldn't fly off on the freeway home.
How did the carb test out????
Still running the stock one with my mods. Performed great.
We pretty much "blubbed" along in 4-lo, with the foot off the gas, and only goosing it on occasion as needed to climb some steep-a** hills.
It did cough a couple times after being stopped for 15+ minutes.
I was running so cool, I think the choke was coming on and causing that.
After revving it up a couple times, it would go away until we stopped for an extended period again.

So, TheJuice:
What was your choice of destructive tools for cutting the rear bumper?
I've got metal cutting blades for my jig-saw, and I also have the very useful air die-grinder/cut-off tool.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Re: Damage

In reply to:

Yeah, that's what I'm seeing on the other rigs we were with.
Looks like "Jeep Tape" (diamond plate) is a good way to cover things up
Well, not everyone's as poor of a driver as I am.. the big Orange Bronco has amazingly few scrapes and bruises, and it goes just about everywhere the rest of us do.

In reply to:

Pics are already up. The person taking most of the pictures was the Scout owner. Judging by his license plate,
is probably why we don't see many pics of the '79 Bronco that was there.
Mostly because the Orange Bronco was ahead of me, not behind me.
And I've taken so many pics of Orange in the past..

There are more trail write-ups on my own site.

In reply to:

Very nice rig. Got a good shot of the front bumper/winch mount/hi-lift holder/shovel holder.
He's also got a nice rear bumper/air tank.
And, a full cage in the back.
Did you miss the dual Suby electric fans to help keep the 460 cool?

In reply to:

Only tire damage was on the '79 Bronco. 36" Super Swampers-Bias Ply, so whatever those would be.
Chunked a couple lugs off, so he cut em so they wouldn't fly off on the freeway home.
Actually, those are Buckshot Mudders, and the rear tire he sliced was brand new this season. They're a QR78 size, roughly 36x10 and similar to a TSL.

I have the 36x12.50 TSL Bias-plys.

In reply to:

What was you choice of destructive tools for cutting the rear bumper?
I've got metal cutting blades for my jig-saw, and I also have the very useful air die-grinder/cut-off tool.
I have a few destructive tools you're welcome to try out, too.

Sawzall, circ. saw w/ abrasive blade.

There are a few 4-wheelers in town with a plasma cutter, but we can't quite get 'em to join the club.. tho' they'll go on runs with us now and then.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Re: Damage

Well, unfortunately, I have been doing all my hacking the extreme hard way...with two hacksaws, one of the standard variety and one of those small ones that holds the blades just on one side. Believe me, the work is time consuming. I would suggest sawzall, or for better control, your jigsaw, with a handheld as a backup. I took off 3.5" up from the bottom of my rear bumper. Don't know if our two bumpers are the exact same width top to bottom, but should be close. I can still use the bumper to stand on, but any jacking has to be done toward the center of the bumper. Right now I have right at 39 degree departure angle.

By the way, I did it to the front too. Framerail out I took off 4" on the bottom. Gives me a 54 degree approach angle for the tires. Actually looks good I think. I'm going to post a pic of it on my superford site. The fronts I have reiforced on the bottoms with 1/4" thick steel plate bolted to the bumper, around to the frame at the front, and with 1.5" .120 steel tubing over to where the stabilizer bar used to bolt to the frame. There are some ways you can reinforce the outer ends of your rear bumper once you are done cutting if you want to. I just have not quite decided what I will use.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rear Bumper Mod

TheJuice:
(From your tech pics)
The finishing touch is 3/16" angle iron bolted up inside to strengthen the bumper.
Exactly where/how (oh, I see, bolted) did you do this re-inforcement?

tsm1mt:
I was going to tell you about the IH-Scout forum over here.....but I see you found it a while ago.

Again, thanks for the fun Saturday.
We're in for the next one.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Re: Rear Bumper Mod

Yeah, well, I was all ready to do that and had second thoughts on method of reinforcement, and then fell right into the cutting on the front bumper project....Which then got completed before the rear!

EDIT/clarification two pics there WD, one shows the bumper, and I was going to reinforce with 3/16" angle iron, but am still considering options. The other pic is 3/16" 2 x 3 Angle used to mount the bumper to the frame to eliminate wimpy stock mounting brackets and move the bumper 1.5" closer to the body without interfering with tailgate. This angle iron runs down the length of the frame so it is like a receiver hitch when bolted to the sturdy portion of the rear bumper. And I mean bolted, as you can see in the pics. So, the bumper is cut up 3.5" and moved forward 1.5".

Nice 77 Scout II Tom has. I tried your link WD, but I keep getting knocked off (timed out?) the internet. I can cut the link down to the main page at Montana 4x4 Association, but then when I try and access the image gallery, same thing. Is it due to my wimpy dial up???? Anyone else with problems?

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Rear Bumper Mod

Well, shoot!
I tried your link WD, but I keep getting knocked off (timed out?) the internet. I can cut the link down to the main page at Montana 4x4 Association, but then when I try and access the image gallery, same thing. Is it due to my wimpy dial up???? Anyone else with problems?
I guess I've only looked at the image galleries from work.
Have to try from home to see if there is a dial-up problem.
Hmmmm.

Here's the main page, which it looks like you found.
Maybe try going the "long" way from there?
(Image Galleries/Frontier 4Wheelers/Album:2002/Album: 8-24 Leadville)

·
Registered
71 Posts
IH forum

In reply to:

I was going to tell you about the IH-Scout forum over here.....but I see you found it a while ago.
Again, thanks for the fun Saturday.
We're in for the next one.
I've known about this place for a long time - through about 4 revisions of the BBS software.. but the IH forum has never taken off - there are far more popular ones out there already.

Glad you had a good time! Maybe next time we'll try a challenging trail.. :p

When we ran Leadville on Father's Day it still had a foor of snow everywhere, which made it far more interesting.

Most of our good runs are in the winter on the snow. That can make just about any trail halfway challenging.

If you want to try out some tools of destruction, just let me know..

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: IH forum

Maybe next time we'll try a challenging trail.. :p
Well! That was challenge enough for a "trail newbie" like me!

I was surprised that Janet never jumped out of the truck.
What a gal! Pulling the mirror in to avoid hammerring it, pushing it back out so I could see the rear quarter.

However, there was 1 time that I was ready to jump out when my LF tire was hanging in the air about 2'.

Janet was "stabilizing" the truck to keep it from rolling over.

I think she was feeling exceptionally strong at that point.
I had her pull her arm back in off the tree.

I'd rather her keep both arms.

I can fix the truck.
Wish I had a shot of that one.
I'll certainly take you up on that tool offer if the air cut-off doesn't work.
I only have about 200 disks to go through before I'm out.

·
Registered
71 Posts
First Run

In reply to:

Well! That was challenge enough for a "trail newbie" like me!
I was actually concerned about taking new members on that run. I was afraid it might be a bit much for a first run - but without the snow, it wasn't too bad and it worked out well.

In reply to:

I'll certainly take you up on that tool offer if the air cut-off doesn't work.
I only have about 200 disks to go through before I'm out.
I don't use my air cutter as often as I'd like, since my shop compressor just isn't up to the task.

I mostly use the air grinder on the trail, or in camp, powered from the onboard compressor when I don't have my sawzall and 110V handy.

I've gotten fairly handy with the Sawzall, air nibbler, and cut-off wheels lately.. and have a bit more sheetmetal to remove still.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
Re: First Run

heheheh
sounds like you have had that too tsm1mt. You go on a run with some newer folks and after the run, never hear back from 'em. So, you didn't scare WD-40 off ehhhhh????? Actually he sounds so psyched, I think he will fit right in with you guys. We have been talking about one day meeting up and running a trail. Maybe somewhere halfway between Montana and Wash./Oregon. WD-40 used to live in my neck of the woods here in the Northwest. And we have the 2bigbroncos club around here (actually throughout a good bit of the country, different chapters). I hear there are good trails in Idaho, just have no experience there nor do I know any locals that could guide.

·
Registered
71 Posts

In reply to:

sounds like you have had that too tsm1mt . You go on a run with some newer folks and after the run, never hear back from 'em.
Yep. After we FINALLY get someone to join up and try it out, they survive one run and decide this isn't for them, never to be heard from again.

Sometimes I don't even get to tell the story of my first club run - I spent the better part of the day with a tow-strap to Tyler's black Bronco (he runs "Stubby" - in addition to that Bronc-up he has a black '78 as well). I felt worthless. I guess everyone wondered if I'd be back..

I showed up the next month with 4" of lift and some new tires.
I think I still spent a lot of time on the strap though.

In reply to:

So, you didn't scare WD-40 off ehhhhh????? Actually he sounds so psyched, I think he will fit right in with you guys.
Looking good so far - we can always use more enthusiastic members!

In reply to:

We have been talking about one day meeting up and running a trail. Maybe somewhere halfway between Montana and Wash./Oregon. WD-40 used to live in my neck of the woods here in the Northwest.
I keep wanting to join everyone at Naches, but always have something else come up - either a race to compete in, or I've broken everything and I'm busy fixing.
Plus it's a bit of a haul to just decide to go. Seattle is right at 600 miles from me.

I'm told there are trails in the Spokane area, and there's a Scout club in the Spokane/CdA area.. maybe I should get serious about heading west to play and have them plan a weekend. Maybe next year I'll consider everything "ready"..

In reply to:

hear there are good trails in Idaho, just have no experience there nor do I know any locals that could guide.
Well, there's the www.JustInternationals.org club in the area, and they might be willing to take some fullsize cousins out.

(For that matter, I often wheel my FS IH Travelall, too).

Maybe Ritch C. will be his 2-big-Binder finished and he can be your intermediary with the Scout clubs. :)

-Tom

·
Registered
2,508 Posts

Well, as you know "Finished" is a relative term, almost non-existant when you are a Bronco or Scout fanatic. But running would work, or 4wdriveable
. I only say finished when I'm done with one project and onto the next

1 - 15 of 15 Posts