Off Roading Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI,

I took my 1997 Nissan 4wd pickup to the alignment shop for abnormal tire wear on the right front. The outer edge is wearing excessively. The guy put the gauges on and discovered I had a 1.5 degrees to much positive camber, the wheel leaning out too much at the top. We looked to see how many shims were on the upper control arm and discovered only one washer under each bolt. This is how it came from the factory . He doesn't think he can get it to where it should be without elongating the holes in the control arm for the ball joint. I don't like the idea of doing that if at all possible. My truck is stock, no lift kit or bigger tires. From what I have been reading here on this site raising the truck with the torsion bars will decrease the camber. I have a feeling my torsion bars have begun to sag and may be part of the problem. Just wondering if anyone knows what the factory ride height is supposed to be on a 1997 4x4 std cab pickup and if anyone else has ran into this problem.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
That's always been a normal problem with pathfinders, but I'm not sure if it works the same with the piuck-ups? I asked a friend of mine who is the parts manager at a Nissan dealership and he told me that the over-positive camber is just the way it is that's why they should have told you when you bought it to rotate your tires often. It's just one of those minor flaw's in the world of Nissan.
I wouldn't start drilling holes in your A-arms etc. unless you plan on doing more work to finish it right, once you start playing with the front-end without looking at what else it will effect, your bringing yourself a world of hurt if you plan on staying stock?

just my 2 cents!

Chris J.
/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif Remember God forgives "ROCK'S DON'T" /wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have had no problems with alignment or torsion bar sagging to date with my '96 4x4. I rotate my tires every year and I notice only slight wear on the inner of both front tires. Having only one tire off that much sounds like something is bent. Positive camber looks like \ /. If you increase ride height by just cranking up the torsion bars you will increase positive camber, not decrease it. If the torsion bars are sagging you will have negative camber / \. If you would like to check the ride height, it is not as simple as measuring how tall the bumper is above the ground. You must measure from the center line of the top A-arm bolt to the bottom of the streering stop. I would recommend you get a manual for the right procedure and dimensions. The Haynes manual has a decent description and pictures to show you how. Also, part of doing a correct alignment is to check for torsion bar sag BEFORE you adjust the caster/camber angles. I would recommend that you try another shop that you know is reputable. A quality alignment shop will also have available frame and suspensions componet dimensions to check if something is bent. Find a shop that is interested in taking the time to help you. There are a couple of sites that explain alignment. This link from Dunlops site is pretty good:

http://www.dunloptire.com/TCM.html#alignment

Whatever you find I hope things work out for you.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you find that everything checks out and it still has camber issues I found that the Rancho lift I put on my truck has tucked the tops of my tires in quite a bit. When I first installed it with the same shims that it had before I was sitting with 2 degrees of negative camber(in at top) vs. the 0 deg I had before. Just a thought.

- Tim
- [email protected]
- Far East 4x4

1 - 4 of 4 Posts